Connecting UNRAID VM serial ports to 2 VMs on the same UNRAID server

Go to solution Solved by SimonF,

Hi All,

I have been searching for days now and have not found a solution yet.

I'm trying to use a Linux mint VM and VSI OpenVMS on x86 VM, both on the same UNRAID server and have them share a serial connection using the Linux mint VM as the serial console connection for the VMS server VM.  Yes I know nostalgia here ... but when I first started working after University my 1st job was a VAX Operator.

Much appreciated if someone knows how to set this up.  I've tried suggestion I googled and can't get it working.

I have this working on my VMWare Pro Workstation host with the serial connection for both VMs a named pipe.

I want to get this working on my UNRAID server in hopes to set up another VAX and get a VAX cluster going between the two systems.

thanks,

Edited by E-ManN
typo
12 hours ago, E-ManN said:

Hi All,

I have been searching for days now and have not found a solution yet.

I'm trying to use a Linux mint VM and VSI OpenVMS on x86 VM, both on the same UNRAID server and have them share a serial connection using the Linux mint VM as the serial console connection for the VMS server VM.  Yes I know nostalgia here ... but when I first started working after University my 1st job was a VAX Operator.

Much appreciated if someone knows how to set this up.  I've tried suggestion I googled and can't get it working.

I have this working on my VMWare Pro Workstation host with the serial connection for both VMs a named pipe.

I want to get this working on my UNRAID server in hopes to set up another VAX and get a VAX cluster going between the two systems.

thanks,

Looks like it should be possible. https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/serial-port-between-two-vms.63833/

I dont have the XML to enable as yet, also socatis not install within Unraid so would need to get a package for that also.

• Solution

I have been able to get this to work.

To get socat for 6.12 do, if extra does not exist mkdir /boot/extra

cd /boot/extra
wget      https://slackware.uk/slackware/slackware64-15.0/slackware64/n/socat-1.7.4.3-x86_64-1.txz
installpkg socat-1.7.4.3-x86_64-1.txz

For next release will need to be 1.8 this version is not compatible with 6.12.

wget https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-current/slackware64/n/socat-1.8.0.0-x86_64-1.txz

You only need to install once downloaded. Packages in extra get loaded at boot.

This is the XML added to each VM.

Debian

<serial type='unix'>
      <source mode='bind' path='/tmp/foo'/>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='1'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
      <alias name='serial1'/>
    </serial>

Unraid-VM

<serial type='unix'>
      <source mode='bind' path='/tmp/foo2'/>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='1'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
      <alias name='serial1'/>
    </serial>

Then run -dd is only to give debug data.

root@computenode:/usr# socat -dd  UNIX-CLIENT:/tmp/foo  UNIX-CLIENT:/tmp/foo2  
2024/04/13 08:22:30 socat[17649] N successfully connected from local address AF=1 "\0\0\xEE\0\0\xEE\0\0"
2024/04/13 08:22:30 socat[17649] N successfully connected from local address AF=1 "\0\0\xEE\0\0\xEE\0\0\xEE"
2024/04/13 08:22:30 socat[17649] N starting data transfer loop with FDs [5,5] and [6,6]

image.png

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, SimonF said:

Looks like it should be possible. https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/serial-port-between-two-vms.63833/

I dont have the XML to enable as yet, also socatis not install within Unraid so would need to get a package for that also.

Thanks a lot SimonF for the speedy reply.  I will work on it this weekend to see if I can get it working.  Awesome !    🙂 

forgot to mention that I am on UNRAID 6.12.10 Pro version .... yikes how stupid of me that I forgot to mention this !

so if I am understanding your setup I should use the socat-1.7.4.3-x86_64-1.txz version

but for the next release of UNRAID I will need to install the socat-1.8.0.0-x86_64-1.txz version.

Not sure if you can tell me this but, will I have to keep installing the latest version of socat each time UNRAID OS is upgraded ... or  after each upgrade I should check it it still works and if not search for latest version of socat?

anyhow thanks again ... will go to my lab later and try this out.  🙂 

thanks,

E

Edited by E-ManN
more info
1 hour ago, E-ManN said:

Not sure if you can tell me this but, will I have to keep installing the latest version of socat each time UNRAID OS is upgraded ... or  after each upgrade I should check it it still works and if not search for latest version of socat?

I think 1.8 should be fine for future upgrades there is a change to ssl libs between 6.12 and 6.13 hence the package change.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SimonF said:

I think 1.8 should be fine for future upgrades there is a change to ssl libs between 6.12 and 6.13 hence the package change.

Kool ... thanks for the info. I expected as much.

update ...

Ok.  So playing around in the lab this am. As per the instructions

1)      I installed  socat-1.7.4.3 on my UNRAID 6.12-.10 Pro server

2)      I configured the serial connection in the XML file for my OpenVMS VM as outlined in the steps

image.png.06abd289b882defdb982dedc79f890d1.png

3)      I configured the serial connection in the XML file for my Linux mint VM (Serial console machine) VM – on the same UNRAID server as OpenVMS VM.

image.png.dd1d5b1823b7ff5ebdaf37f9294fc874.png

4)      Powered up both VMs and then from command prompt on UNRAID server ran

a.       socat -dd  UNIX-CLIENT:/tmp/foo  UNIX-CLIENT:/tmp/foo2

b.       got the desired connection results

image.thumb.png.b6193bf0ebb26f5a325905e8d9b83426.png

5)      Went back to my linux mint console VM and checked the tty ports

image.thumb.png.85d690e1c44b67a3e76169ec2605d52d.png

6)      Then tried a screen connect to get a console session on my OpenVMS VM from my Linux Mint VM … screen failed to open – used à sudo screen /dev/ttyS0 115200   

image.thumb.png.e8479d817668889792f8d29469c06860.png

Should I be using another command on my Linux mint machine to get console display from the OpenVMS VM ?

This is what the UNRAID console session for the OPenVMS VM looks like in UNRAID VM Console (VNC) …

and this is what I am trying to get on my Linux Mint VM with the serial console connect.

image.png.9e7a43371542a125717baebbe46cbf20.png

I feel like this a brain freeze on my part … so close but missing something. I’m reading up on socat whitepapers.  I’m not a Guru Linux guy but learning.  J

Thanks,

E

Edited by E-ManN
typo
Posted (edited)

brain fart on me .. i got it working.  Had to change the port=1 to port=0 on both vms in the XML file as the tty connect I was using was to port0  .. ah duh !.

I now have console session on Linux mint VM.

Thanks A million SimonF .. you are a Rockstar !

1060514844_VMSconsole.jpg.bed5c923454454ff2ecf59b3481e7ddf.jpg

Edited by E-ManN
typo
  • Like 1