Disabled disk during array shutdown

I had Samba run into an issue and lock a temp file it with DENY_ALL. The only way to resolve that is to restart samba, so I decided to just shut down my VM and stop the array to restart it. Upon restarting the array I noticed disk1 was in an error state. I plan to just rebuild the disk because it looks healthy otherwise.

Anyone know why this occurred? The syslog seems to show a read/write error during unmounting of disks... or am I reading the log incorrectly?

Diagnostics attached. Any insight is appreciated.

tower-diagnostics-20240411-2248.zip

6 hours ago, johnsanc said:

The syslog seems to show a read/write error during unmounting of disks...

Yep:

Apr 11 22:11:55 Tower emhttpd: shcmd (5654356): umount /mnt/disk1
Apr 11 22:11:56 Tower kernel: XFS (md1p1): Unmounting Filesystem
Apr 11 22:11:56 Tower kernel: md: disk1 read error, sector=8593267848
Apr 11 22:11:56 Tower kernel: md: disk1 write error, sector=8593267848
Apr 11 22:11:56 Tower emhttpd: shcmd (5654357): rmdir /mnt/disk1

And there's no associated controller error/timeout, so possibly some timing issue.

Hmm interesting. That's what I thought as well. Shouldn't Unraid control this though and ensure all other services are stopped before unmounting?

What is the best practice for an array shutdown? Do I need to manually stop all docker containers first?

I cannot think of anything else that would have been running during unmount except maybe the file integrity plugin for hashing.

17 minutes ago, johnsanc said:

Shouldn't Unraid control this though and ensure all other services are stopped before unmounting?

And it does, this is not a normal problem, and I'm not sure if it was an Unraid issue, but it could have been, doing a shutdown/reboot with the array running should always be safe, could be a one time issue, due to some timings.

Thanks. I'll just let this disk rebuild and keep an eye out to see if happens again. Wish there was an easy way to see what file is associated with that sector to diagnose what might have happened. Do you know if there is a good way to do this that I can check after the disk rebuilds?