Cache drive unmountable: Unsupported or no file system after adding new cache drive

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi 🙂,

I'm fairly new to unraid and everything seemed to be working well, until now. I decided that I wanted to migrate my cache pool to a new drive, going from 128 GB SSD to 1 TB NVME. I've seen online that a simple way to do it would be to add a new drive to the cache pool, wait for BTRFS sync to complete, stop the array, remove the 128 GB and voila, the 1 TB should now be the default drive in the cache pool.

While the first few steps worked fine, I was indeed able to add the new drive to the cache pool, BTRFS synced happened, my array was then resized to 5XX GB (with 98% usage which seems suspicious), but I was able to stop the array, so I did, removed all drive from the cache pool, changed the slots to 1, added the 1 TB as the primary drive and started the array. 

It started, however I quickly saw this message next to the drive : 
Cache drive unmountable: Unsupported or no file system

What are my options now? I haven't erased any drives and I've been trying to set the 128 GB back, or the 1TB, but haven't been successful. 

BurttKR.png

I included the diagnostics too!

Thanks!

crousti-server-diagnostics-20240412-1144.zip

Edited by FrForget
6 minutes ago, FrForget said:

removed all drive from the cache pool, changed the slots to 1, added the 1 TB as the primary drive and started the array. 

That won't work, to remove a device you just unassign the devices and leave the slots as they were, then start the array to begin the balance.

Stop the array, change slots to 2, start the array, if the pool doesn't mount post new diags.

Looks like it is completed as I can stop the array and see the full 1 TB now. 

I want to say a HUGE thank you for the instructions you've provided.

Overall, would you say that this is the proper way to do it? If I wouldn't have change the slots number to 1 and simply unassigned the second drive and wait for it to balance, I wouldn't have had to use the command line do fix the drive right?

5 minutes ago, FrForget said:

Overall, would you say that this is the proper way to do it? If I wouldn't have change the slots number to 1 and simply unassigned the second drive and wait for it to balance, I wouldn't have had to use the command line do fix the drive right?

Correct.