1TB Western Digital $180 Shipped

j5428

thanks I bought two. One with $10 off for Google checkout (my first time using it), and another using the 5% coupon.

Is there a good utility to test for bad sectors and overall performance of a HDD? I want to make sure the drive is good before placing it in my unRAID server.

Thanks j5428 - it was just in time as my six drives are getting close to topped out.  Ordered 3 - one to up my parity from 750.

I'll agree with bubbaQ on the testing - the scenarios where a drive works the first day but is dying/dead in a few months is rare these days.

Nice Just bought two.

Glad I held off on the 750's I was going to buy at 149 each.

At 189 + free shipping - %5%, I think I did pretty well!

Thanks for the heads up!

A nit, but you didn't save 5%, more like 4% (assuming you bought two drives on one order).  The coupon caps at $15 total whereas 5% would be $19.  For four drives (what I am planning on getting) that calcs to ~2%.

Maybe I should just put in four orders?

Bill

I'm still happy... $15.00 pays for what would have been shipping somewhere else.

Considering I purchased two drives for $234 about 6 weeks ago, I'm happy to pay $182 for these drives.

(especially when just two days ago I was ready to pay $149 each + shipping for a pair of 750s).

Bought four in two separate orders, so $30 off total.  We'll see if they honor both since I used the same address and same credit card #.

Regardless, it's a good deal.  Plus, with my current setup of five 300GB drives I was feeling a bit ... small.  Nevermind that I still have about a full drive empty.

Of course now I will find that I don't have enough SATA ports and my case won't hold that many drives so more ordering of parts.  Then I'll find out my PSU is too small and/or inefficient.

j5428, I hate you.

Bill

Just trying to help!  I held off on this one.  I ordered a 750 SATA segate for $120 on Sunday from Staples.  My largest drive is a 750 so I would have had to order two of these.  If you need a bigger case check out the post I had a few days ago about the Lian LI (Rocketfish) at Best Buy for $47 that thing is a MONSTER.  It will easily hold 16 drives.

I received my order today.

These are definitely the GP drives from WD. Put in my serial number on WD website, and the warranty will expire in 2011. I will place them in my unRAID box this weekend. I hope this holds me over until this becomes the regular price for these drives.

I ordered one of these drives yesterday and was able to get it for $180.49 with the 5% coupon. Then later in the evening, I decided to purchase another drive. I was able to use another coupon and get the second drive for the same as the first without cutting me off at the $15 max. Anyhow, I didn't complete the transaction because it was late and I didn't want to disturb others in our house by walking down stairs to get my credit card. So I left the transaction in my cart. This morning I tried to complete the transaction and the price was up to $235. Oh well....

I think I'll wait until I come across another great deal before I purchase more of these. Speaking of good deals, I noticed this one at Dell:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A1258599&cs=19&c=us&l=en&dgc=CJ&cid=24471&lid=566643

It is described as a 2 TB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive (My Book World Edition II). Network Storage System with Remote Access. The 2 TB USB External Hard Drive - My Book® World Edition® II from Western Digital®. Manufacturer Part# : WDG2NC20000N

The price from Dell is $379.99. I assume you could just remove the drives from their external enclosure and install them in an unRAID server. This comes out to about $190/drive. I wonder what drives are included. The same product at Newegg sells for $466.99. So I'm trying to decide on either waiting for the single 1 TB Western Digital drives to go back down to about $180 or get these.

Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Gregg

Western Digital 1TB NAS $179.99 shipped from dell.

That's an even better deal. I just spoke with Western Digital tech support and asked what drives are in these things and they said they are the WD Caviar GP drives (probably the non RE2 version, but he wasn't sure). He said that you don't defeat the warranty if you remove the drive, so it is covered under a 3 year warranty.

This is very tempting...

That's strange, the link was working fine last Thursday when he posted that message.

After searching Dell's site for Western Digital's 1TB NAS, this is what I found:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/System_Drives/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A1263948

No longer such a good deal. This could also be a different product because the product for the link above is described as a "My Book Office" and the ones I purchased, "My Book World," maybe are out of stock. It's a good thing I placed my order on the 27th.

Just received an email alert from Buy.com. Here's another good deal (probably should be in a new thread...)

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=206181448&adid=17070&dcaid=17070

beware: based on the reviews, customers aren't very confident they'll ever see rebate checks.

The 1TB drives were coming down to a price of $0.18/GB and now this 750GB drive is at $0.16/GB

Archived