drive replacing with larger drive that the parity drive

Hi 

I have a question , I need to replace a disable drive, so I decided to upgrade my 4tb to an 8 TB , but my parity drive is 6tb.  I hear people saying if your parity drive failes during the copy to the new one ,  you lose everything .  

In my case what is the best practice method ?
( I was thinking can I add the 8 TB parity drive as a second Parity drive and then remove the old 6 TB partity, is this possible. ) 

6 minutes ago, madmax969 said:

will I lose everything on my drive which is disabled when I do a Parity drive swap

No.   The whole purpose of the parity swap procedure is to replace a parity drive with a larger one and then rebuild the contents of the emulated drive onto the old parity drive that is replacing the disabled drive.    

It works in two phases which have to both run to completion without interruption if you do not want to have to restart again from the beginning.

1. the first phase will copy the contents of the old parity drive onto the new (larger) parity drive.   During this phase the array is never available..
  2. when that completes the standard rebuild process starts running to rebuild the emulated drive onto the old parity drive.   If you were doing this process in Normal mode  the array is available but with reduced performance (as is standard with rebuilding).   If running in Maintenance mode the array will become available only when the rebuild completes and you restart the array in normal mode.
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1