Time to start buying 3TB drives?

DGalt

I need to get a new drive (amazing how quickly 2TB disappears with BluRay tv series) and the basic question is do I get another 2TB drive or get a 3TB, make it my parity, and use my current parity as the another normal drive.

Currently on newegg most of the 3TBs are ~$50-$60 more than a 2TB, which considering a 2TB is ~$200 seems like a pretty reasonable difference in price. Will 3TB come down much more in the next 6 months or so?

thank  ;D

there are only two companies now...

seagate now owns Samsung and should complete the absorption this month..

WD now owns Hitachi.. that one is taking a little longer.

can you say monopoly? the price wars of the last year or so will become a thing of the past are my fears...

i do not think we will see $55 2TB drives and $105 3TB drives again for a while...

to answer your question. go with what ever sale (rare right now) you can find and buy the best Gigabyte per dollar you can get. if they are close, go bigger for long run savings.

I've been pretty lucky. Since I had all "Black" drives (which have a 5 year warranty) I have been able to return them to WD for drive replacements if I thought any of my drives were going bad. This is where spending a little more money prior is helping me while HD times are bad right now. At least I'm able enough to keep my pool of drives good and running smooth. I'll still be in the same boat if I need to ADD a drive, but luckily I have about 5TB available. I also have a 2TB drive coming to me on Monday as a replacement from last week.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived