Has anyone tried a LSI SAS 9201-16i HBA in unRAID?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
I flashed it to P14 to get 3TB support.

I've never seen anything that suggested a certain level of firmware is required for 3TB support on the mpt2sas controllers.  I'm sure that there are people here who have used an LSI2008-based controller with 3TB drives well before P14 was released.

Wouldn't it be almost the same price as an m1015 then expander? Which we know works well in unraid.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Yeah its approximately the same. This card seems to be working very well too. The m1015 is great as we know but if you want higher density on a single PCIe x8, the 9201 is a good option also.

Just to report also for anyone who wants to try, the S3 sleep works.

I flashed it to P14 to get 3TB support.

I've never seen anything that suggested a certain level of firmware is required for 3TB support on the mpt2sas controllers.  I'm sure that there are people here who have used an LSI2008-based controller with 3TB drives well before P14 was released.

They were not recognized before the firmware update. The firmware on the card was much earlier than P14.

Just checking it was the same one, i have had this card a while now and i'm adding my experiences for future searches.

This works perfectly with Unraid with no noticeable bottleneck. I installed it over the supermicro and other 8 port cards because if your like me and you only have 1 x8 pcie this will let you use get the full use out of your pro licence without a new mobo (22 data, 1 parity and 1 cache Unraid version 4.7)

Granted, it does run a bit warmer than the other cards BUT if you have 2 supermicros then the temp of the 2 cards is more significant than just one 16i and the temps can be controlled if you plan out the airflow in your case.. One pointer, get the correct breakout cables. ;)

• 3 months later...

The LSI 9201-16i did work quite fine for me until I did upgrade the Bios to solve a warning issue...

It does not offer RAID support, but I did install FlexRaid to manage that. Using Snaphot Raid, I really have good read/write performances (the mean throughput through my Gigabit network is above 100MB/s - while the theoretical max for such network is 125MB/s)

Really easy to use to build a NAS, the only detail I noticed is that the passive cooler becomes quickly very hot (even if there are no disk controlled yet and therefore not a lot of activity).

The biggest issue I experienced was with my Asus Striker II Formula (a MB not using UEFI) with onboard Raid Controllers and a Promise FastTrak SAS controller. Out of the box (with a Firmware 15.0.0.0 and a Bios 7.5.0.0), the LSI card was preventing the FastTrak to execute its boot sequence. I was only able to configure the FastTrak at boot time by unplugging the LSI. With that Bios, the MB was initializing its own onboard RAID controller before executing the rom of the LSI.

To solve this minor issue, I did update the Bios of the LSI to the latest version (7.29.0.0) and since... I have a biiiig issue: the motherboard does not complete the boot sequence anymore.  It stops after the LSI initialization, EVEN if I unplug the FastTrak !!! The LSI boot sequence is executed before anything else, including the initialization of the MB onboard RAID controller....

The LCD Poster of my MB mentions that it's stuck on the "Load Menu" (or on "Entering Setup" if I did press DEL). And I can therefore even not boot on a USB key if the LSI is plugged :(

If I use this LSI on my ASUS P9X79Pro (with EUFI support), the PC boots fine ! (I would like to downgrade now the bios of the LSI back to 7.5.0.0 but I don't find this version anymore....)

Conclusion: check twice the list of compatible SAS controllers on LSI website and preferably use this card with its latest bios on a recent Motherboard ;)