We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

High CPU IO wait when updating docker container images after replacing M.2 SSD with SATA SSD

System:

HPE Microserver GEN10 Plus Server

Single PCIe slot

Cache drive: SATA SSD (previously M.2 SSD)

Issue:

After replacing the M.2 SSD cache drive with a SATA SSD, I am experiencing high CPU IO wait when updating docker container images. I have checked the disk logs and there are no errors.

Additional Information:

I have migrated all data to the new SATA SSD cache drive.

I have been using the SATA SSD cache drive for a few weeks now.

I have tried restarting the Docker service and the Unraid server.

I have attached the system diagnostics report to this post. Please help me troubleshoot and resolve this issue. Thank you.

Additional Questions:

Could the switch from an M.2 SSD to a SATA SSD be causing this issue?

Are there any specific configuration settings that I need to adjust for using a SATA SSD as a cache drive?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

home-unraid-diagnostics-20240507-1541.zip

8 minutes ago, BOGu said:

Are there any specific configuration settings that I need to adjust for using a SATA SSD as a cache drive?

Not usually, could just be a very slow device, do you have a different one you could test with, ideally from a known brand?

SATA SSDs are slower by design (and by interface) already. And very lousy ones are even slower as an old dog when writing an amount of data.

So I guess, what you see is normal.

What idea drove you going from "good" to "worse"?

05/09/2024 01:42:09 PM
avg-cpu:  %user   %nice %system %iowait  %steal   %idle
           1.67    0.00    0.83   25.63    0.00   71.87

Device            r/s     rkB/s   rrqm/s  %rrqm r_await rareq-sz     w/s     wkB/s   wrqm/s  %wrqm w_await wareq-sz     d/s     dkB/s   drqm/s  %drqm d_await dareq-sz     f/s f_await  aqu-sz  %util
sde              0.00      0.00     0.00   0.00    0.00     0.00   60.00   2180.00     4.00   6.25  103.70    36.33    0.00      0.00     0.00   0.00    0.00     0.00    0.00    0.00    6.22 100.00

When updating containers and there is a lot of other write activity to disk, the IO wait situation is