unRAID encounters strange issues with the Unassigned Devices plugin

Go to solution Solved by dlandon,

I have been using the Unassigned Devices plugin for about a year, mounting Synology shared folders on the local network via SMB, and everything was working fine. However, recently, I have been frequently facing issues where specific files or folders cannot be found. For example, in the "M" folder, I clearly added a "tv" folder and an "A" file, but through Unassigned Devices in unRAID, I cannot see this "tv" folder and "A" file. However, when I created a "C" folder in the same "M" folder, strangely, I could see the "tv" folder through Unassigned Devices in unRAID. Is this a bug with Unassigned Devices or is it an issue with my usage? I'm looking forward to someone helping me resolve this. During this period, in an attempt to solve the problem, I also tried restarting the Synology server and the unRAID host, reinstalled the Unassigned Devices plugin, but the issue persists.

5 hours ago, dlandon said:

Update to 6.12.10.  There is a bug in 6.12.9 that causes this problem.

I upgraded to version 6.12.10 as per your suggestion. After the upgrade, I encountered an issue where I couldn't mount two shared folders via SMB. The 'Mount' button is grayed out, indicating that the remote server is offline (as shown in the screenshot). However, I'm certain that my Synology NAS shared folders are online. I've tried restarting Unraid, uninstalling and reinstalling Unassigned Disks, deleting the mounts and setting them up again, but nothing worked. I still can't mount the Synology folders via SMB. Is there something wrong with my settings?

屏幕截图 2024-05-11 102936.png

5 hours ago, jndhui said:

I upgraded to version 6.12.10 as per your suggestion. After the upgrade, I encountered an issue where I couldn't mount two shared folders via SMB. The 'Mount' button is grayed out, indicating that the remote server is offline (as shown in the screenshot). However, I'm certain that my Synology NAS shared folders are online. I've tried restarting Unraid, uninstalling and reinstalling Unassigned Disks, deleting the mounts and setting them up again, but nothing worked. I still can't mount the Synology folders via SMB. Is there something wrong with my settings?

屏幕截图 2024-05-11 102936.png

Go to a command line and type ‘ud_diagnostics’, then post /flash/logs/ud_diagnostics.zip.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Go to a command line and type ‘ud_diagnostics’, then post /flash/logs/ud_diagnostics.zip.

The attached zip file, exported as per your instructions, has caused trouble for you. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Another situation is that I successfully mounted Windows shared folders using UD, but encountered issues when mounting Synology shared folders. I'm certain that my Synology settings haven't changed. I also tried mounting Synology shared folders via SMB using Windows, and everything worked fine. It's just that mounting Synology folders via UD isn't working.

ud_diagnostics-20240511-162705.zip

Edited by jndhui

I don't see any remote shares defined.  Have you gone through the process of adding the remote shares with UD?

If you add them with UD and they don't show as being online, you'll need to use the DATASTATION IP address. instead of the name  Be sure it is a static IP.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I don't see any remote shares defined.  Have you gone through the process of adding the remote shares with UD?

If you add them with UD and they don't show as being online, you'll need to use the DATASTATION IP address. instead of the name  Be sure it is a static IP.

Sorry, I found that the remote share I mounted wasn't working, so I deleted it. This might be the reason why you didn't see it in the logs. Following your advice, I used the IP address instead of the name found by the 'SEARCH FOR SERVERS' button to define the Synology server, and surprisingly, it worked. Below is a screenshot. Could you please tell me the reason? Is there a bug in the UD plugin when using names? The corresponding screenshot and log are attached.

ud_diagnostics-20240511-173517.zip

屏幕截图 2024-05-11 174530.png

Edited by jndhui

Go to a command line and give me the output of these comands:

/usr/bin/timeout 1 bash -c '(echo >/dev/tcp/DATASTATION/445) &>/dev/null'; echo $?

and 

/usr/bin/timeout 1 bash -c '(echo >/dev/tcp/DATASTATION.LOCAL/445) &>/dev/null'; echo $?

UD has been changed and now relies on a local DNS server for name resolution.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Go to a command line and give me the output of these comands:

/usr/bin/timeout 1 bash -c '(echo >/dev/tcp/DATASTATION/445) &>/dev/null'; echo $?

and 

/usr/bin/timeout 1 bash -c '(echo >/dev/tcp/DATASTATION.LOCAL/445) &>/dev/null'; echo $?

UD has been changed and now relies on a local DNS server for name resolution.

No wonder I can't find the Synology server by its name. I don't have a local DNS server. But, except for enterprises, few individuals or home users use a local DNS server, right? How can I display shares by name without adding a local DNS server? All my PLEX server media libraries are set up based on names. Changing to IP addresses would require re-scanning, which is a significant undertaking.

屏幕截图 2024-05-11 181247.png

Edited by jndhui

Unraid uses avahi (nDNS) to look up names and if the DAASTATION doesn't use mDNS, Unraid will probably not be able to look it up by name.  This is only a situation in UD and shouldn't affect anything else in your system.

I'm trying to find a way to get around this issue if I can.  Give me the output of this command:

arp -a DATASTATION.LOCAL

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

Unraid uses avahi (mDNS) to look up names and if the DAASTATION doesn't use mDNS, Unraid will probably not be able to look it up by name.  This is only a situation in UD and shouldn't affect anything else in your system.

I'm trying to find a way to get around this issue if I can.  Give me the output of this command:

arp -a DATASTATION.LOCAL

屏幕截图 2024-05-11 183347.png

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, dlandon said:

Has your problem been resolved?

Sorry, I've been really busy these past few days and couldn't reply promptly. I updated UD and found that I can now modify the names of the shared folders I'm mounting. So I made some changes, and now PLEX can recognize them correctly by their names. The problem is perfectly solved now. Thank you!

屏幕截图 2024-05-13 065338.png

Edited by jndhui