Unraid can't get IP address after motherboard swap

Go to solution Solved by BoopJoop,

Hi all, 

I upgraded motherboard on my unraid server, initially had some issues booting but now successfully boots, it detects the network devices, but can't grab an IP address, both via DHCP or static config in unraid. I've tried deleting both the network and network-rules config files so they regenerate several times now, but still no dice.

Old motherboard was an asus prime x370-pro, and upgraded to a Gigabyte x570 Aorus master for the extra m.2's. I've tried both the on-board network ports, as well as my Intel x520-DA2 I was already using in my server prior to changing the motherboard. I've also tried disabling the on-board NICs in hopes it would help, but still no. It seems to just always get a 169.x.x.x address.

I've attached diagnostics, I think they're the latest ones after wiping the network config again. I ran memtest during my initial boot issues and that passed. I've also tried booting to GUI safe mode without plugins but still nothing. My router is OPNsense, and looking at the Unraid diagnostics myself it seems to find it on 192.168.1.1, but gets the error "br0: checksum failure", and I'm not sure how to fix it. I've tried disabling bridging on the intended connection, as well as changing the assignment so the NIC I want is on eth0, and also enabling bonding on eth0 with no other ports. Diagnostics are only from a few minutes after boot but I've left this on for an hour+ previously and still never grabs a valid IP address.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you :)

tower-diagnostics-20240511-1201.zip tower-diagnostics-20240513-1303.zip

when swapping motherboard, you changed chipsets. You may need to delete the network config file on the usb in the config folder. Unraid will recreate the file and reset the network interfaces, going back to dhcp address. You can then reedit the network config settings and static set as they were.

this happened as eth0 is not seeing the mac address of the previous board. eth0 is static set while the new interface are called something else atm if at all. Sometimes a plugin breaks and fixes this depending on hardware...

May 11 11:56:19 [1449]: br0: checksum failure from 192.168.1.1
May 11 11:56:34 [1449]: br0: checksum failure from 192.168.1.1
May 11 11:57:06 [1449]: br0: checksum failure from 192.168.1.1
May 11 11:58:09 [1449]: br0: checksum failure from 192.168.1.1
May 11 11:59:13 [1449]: br0: checksum failure from 192.168.1.1

Maybe a router issue? Try rebooting it.

Thanks, I've tried both deleting the network config files so they regenerate, as well as a router reboot as well as connecting to a different switch to no results. Router seems to be giving out IPs to other devices ok

I've also tried setting a static IP in the router as well as leaving it unset. It's the same network card as before so the MAC address is the same. I've also tried the other port on the network card as it has a slightly different mac address but still nothing.

I'll try a different router later tonight

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Tested the motherboard under windows and still didn't work, possibly a driver issue as there's some reports of this board having more complex driver installs. I tested a USB-C hub with an ethernet port and the network worked fine through that, though I'm not sure what that actually proves.

Anyway I swapped that gigabyte board for an MSI MEG x570 unify and that works perfectly straight out of the box. Got both my nvme SSDs and Google Coral TPU installed and all working well.

:)

• Like 1

No I couldn't get either on board NIC to work, Realtek or Intel, and neither did either port on my 10Gb Intel x520-DA2 add in card.

My x520 was working previously with my asus x370, but is continuing not to after the motherboard switch. I'm sort of hoping it's because it's on a different switch currently that only supports 1Gb SFP and it's not negotiating down correctly, as I haven't tested it on my 10Gb switch yet with the MSI board, but I did test it there with the Gigabyte board and it still didn't work, so potential it's broken during movement / motherboard swap, or it just wasn't working with the Gigabyte board.