Disks not able to spin down

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to Unraid and it's running well for now (on 6.12.10). The only thing that is bothering me is that the spin down function doesn't work correctly.

I've got an array with 5 USB 3.0 HDDs, one of them set as a parity drive, and a 256GB SSD as cache for all my Docker and share files.

As I understand it, all the initial traffic should run through the cache drive, so there shouldn't be a need to spin up the HDDs until the mover kicks in.

As it seems, the "Spin down" button doesn't do anything to the drives.

I tried stopping all Docker and VM services, deleted all plugins, and hit the button again, but the drives are still spun up.

I also checked the disk settings, and the spin down delay is set to 15 minutes for all drives in the array.

Only when I stop the array and start in maintenance mode, then the drives are able to spin down with the "Spin down" button in the main tab.

But after the array is running for a few minutes (even without any docker or VM service running), I'm not able to spin down any drives anymore. 

Maybe there just a setting i missed in the unraid config, but im pretty clueless for now.

Many thanks 

tower-server-diagnostics-20240518-1242.zip

18 minutes ago, MATTK said:

5 USB 3.0 HDDs, one of them set as a parity drive

USB not recommended for array or pools for many reasons. Spindown might be one of those reasons.

17 minutes ago, MATTK said:

tried stopping all Docker and VM services

Shouldn't matter, since it looks like those shares are configured to stay on cache anyway.

thank you for your fast answer!

im aware that usb drives arent recommended for array, but this was the hardware i had lying around, and right now i'm not able to purchase any new hardware so i thought i would give it a shot. till now it works, and its better than nothing.
i research a little and as it seems the usb protocoll is pretty shitty when it comes to external commands from any Server-based OS.
Im planning for an array configuration with SATA drives in the future but for now im stuck with this configuration till new Hardware is available.

if someone knows a workaround or something for this problem i would be very greatful. 

thanks in advance