Reason for daily shutdown

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi so have recently been having the same issues of in the early hours of the morning my unraid server shutting down but I can't work out the reason or find out where it could tell me why it did it,

It was running fine for ages as just a NAS and plex media server I added a few more apps (immach nextcloud) and initially there wasn't any issues but then each morning I awoke to the server being offline and the message of unclean shutdown so I removed all changes I had done such as the addition of the new apps and moving system files an app data to a M.2 cache pool hoping  had just done something wrong and it would all be ok once returned but no such luck,

I turned on the setting the enable the drives to autostart so I no longer wake up to the server being off or the unclean shutdown message but the uptime of only a few hours shows me it happens each night and it then needs to perform a parity check each time which doesnt cause any problems but does feel like excessive over use of drives and electricity for what I'm hoping is a simple fix.

The fact it happens between the hours of 2-4am every night and never during the day makes me think its a setting trying to do something at night but i can't find a way of seeing a message of why the shutdown happened to know what i might need to change.

Any ideas where i should be looking or thoughts on what could be causing this?

and is your server on a UPS? or connected straught to an outlet?

It is not unheard of to have voltage variations at either peak or low usage times on some lines. A variation in power could trigger a failsafe in your power supply, then trying to "protect" the PC by shutting it down

thanks both for your replies, i'll eneable the syslog tonight to see in morning what it says about the inevitable shutdown in the morning,

it is connected to a power strip which then goes straight to the outlet but the desk set up has been the same for over a year now and the shutdown only over last month which is why i assumed setting change and also the consistency to it always being between 2-4am 

hopefully this log will tell me more 

So I followed the process of running the syslog but I can seem to see any details from before the shutdown the log just seems to start at 4am when the crash happened could someone point me in the right direction of where I should be looking to see if there is any reason behind the daily crashes

I have attached syslog and diagnosis which maybe shows somebody something I'm missing 

thanos-diagnostics-20240530-1003.zip thanos-syslog-20240530-0903.zip

• Solution

Plex media scan segfaulting I believe is normal, at least I'm used to seeing it in various diags, what is not normal are the call traces and not enough memory errors, try limiting the RAM the Plex container can use to see if it helps, if it doesn't, try running the server with Plex disabled for some time to confirm if that is what is causing the problem.

So firstly thank you for your help I think I have now pinpointed the problem being with plex running scehduled background tasks as once I knew the error messages were coming from plex I was looking through all the settings on there and noticed that the background tasks were set to happen between 2am and 4am which matched exactly with my issues

Last night I set these to 9am to 10am and it shut down just before 10am so seem to point towards this being the cause I will now hunt through the plex related posts to try and work out what I need to change to stop this from continuing to happen maybe it needs a longer window to perfom them all and is crashing due to not completing

Screenshot_1-6-2024_14138_192.168.0.87.jpeg

• Like 1