ESXi 5.0 using M1015 - no drives seen - what am I missing?

Got an ATLAS clone, used that for setting up ESXi and a test unRaid VM

I did re-flash the M1015 following the instructions here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.msg121131#msg121131

Used LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11).zip - 5.87 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)

When going thru the boot up process for the server, it sees the 2 drives I currently have attached (1 for each backplane/cable) prior to ESXi booting up.

I have the M1015 for passthru.

Once the test unRaid comes up though and I go to the Devices page, it doesn't see either of the HDDs.

And checking unMenu, only thing is sda which is the USB stick for unRaid.

Reading thru pages and pages of VM stuff on the forums but haven't discovered yet what I might be missing.

Any help would be appreciated

unRaid syslog attached if that helps

Edit: Using unRaid 4.7

esxi-syslog.txt

Just went through the exact same thing over the last couple of days.  There is lots to learn with this method.  I am using a 5.0 beta and i am very very new to this.

I have not used unmenu much (once) instead I use Simple features, but regadless, the default interface showed my drives after my first boot where I had to assign them to a device.

Since you are in a virtualized enviroment, try the beta version and see if that works for you.  Try this method http://www.lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=16270.0 and see if you can get it to boot from a virtual disk, that way you wont need to remove 4.7 from the USB stick.

Failing that, run up a windows/linux vm with the 1016 in passthrough to make sure its working properly.

otherwise, I can;t offer much help other than to suggest that  you go through each step again to ensure that you have not missed one that can make a difference.

Mick

Edit: Using unRaid 4.7

I am running the same setup with ESXi 4.1.  I believe the M1015 was not supported until 5.0 Beta 8.  I am running Beta 9 still as I don't fully trust the newer betas yet.

That's right, the M1015 is not supported on 4.7.  I am currently working on getting it supported through a new kernel and rootfs.  Stay tuned.

Bummer. Was hoping to move my Prod env to ESXi soon since I'm running low on storage since my current box doesn't have any open slots.

Guess I might need to read up on some of the betas, although would prefer to stay on 4.7 for now.

IF I were to go to a Beta, which would be most problem free for M1015 & AOC-SASLP-MV8

no 3TB drives at this time.

elkay14 - what type of ETA would we be looking at?  days, weeks, months?

Just trying to evaluate my options

Bummer. Was hoping to move my Prod env to ESXi soon since I'm running low on storage since my current box doesn't have any open slots.

Guess I might need to read up on some of the betas, although would prefer to stay on 4.7 for now.

IF I were to go to a Beta, which would be most problem free for M1015 & AOC-SASLP-MV8

no 3TB drives at this time.

elkay14 - what type of ETA would we be looking at?  days, weeks, months?

Just trying to evaluate my options

Use beta 12a, you should be fine. Also last I checked, the MV8 was somewhat of a pain to get working in ESXi. That was pre5.0 though so I'm not sure if that has changed.

If I am not mistaken, The M1015 works under 4.7. you just do not get spin down or temps.

Have you tried pulling out your esxi flash and booting straight to unRAID?

I don't see how it could since none of the drivers are included:

# CONFIG_MEGARAID_NEWGEN is not set
# CONFIG_MEGARAID_LEGACY is not set
# CONFIG_MEGARAID_SAS is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_MPT2SAS is not set

That is from the .config for 4.7

root@Tower:/lib/modules/2.6.32.9-unRAID/kernel/drivers/scsi# find .
./3w-9xxx.ko
./scsi_wait_scan.ko
./libsas
./libsas/libsas.ko
./arcmsr
./arcmsr/arcmsr.ko
./aacraid
./aacraid/aacraid.ko
./3w-xxxx.ko
./scsi_transport_sas.ko

I have a 4.7 kernel running on my test box with the SG_IO interface spindown code and the driver for the M1015.  I'll be testing it tonight.

Use beta 12a, you should be fine. Also last I checked, the MV8 was somewhat of a pain to get working in ESXi. That was pre5.0 though so I'm not sure if that has changed.

The MV8 wasn't that hard, just had to apply the Hack to passthrumap and the VM vmx file.

At least it is seeing the drives.

If I am not mistaken, The M1015 works under 4.7. you just do not get spin down or temps.

Have you tried pulling out your esxi flash and booting straight to unRAID?

Good thought. Did that (straight boot to unRaid 4.7) and it only saw the drives off the MV8 and the datastores off the MB.

Guess I'll need to read the release notes on upgrading from 4.7 to 5b12a if I want to move to the ESXi box soon.

Any issues if I needed to downgrade back from 5b12a to 4.7?

Getting the M1015 working with 4.7 is proving to be nearly futile.

In the end, drive temps won't be supported (because that code is in the webgui) and I'm getting weird SCSI sense errors after the webgui issues spindown commands.  It's not the spindown command itself, but the webgui is subsequently issuing a drive command of some type that the SCSI layer or even the card itself does not like.

I do have the 4.7 RAID bug patched and will be looking for testing volunteers soon.