CyberPower UPS VP1000EILCD don't work with my unRAID server

Hi everyone,

I purchased a CYBERPOWER USV VALUEPRO VP1000EILCD GREEN POWER UPS I can't get it to work with my unRAID server because as soon as there is no power everything shuts down. I tried both APC settings and NUT plugin but nothing worked. I thought it was broken because when there is no voltage it says error E21 which means short circuit of the load, in this case the unRAID server but that's not true! I've tried other devices and the UPS works fine, only with my unRAID server everything shuts down immediately. I then tried leaving the USB cable unplugged so as not to have communication and see if at least that way it worked but nothing changed!

Where am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to help me!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Zippi said:

then tried leaving the USB cable unplugged so as not to have communication and see if at least that way it worked but nothing changed!

It likely your server overload the UPS, you need confirm the Watts and VA of server draw, ensure it haven't over the limit of the UPS.

There also could be battery problem, it can't provide enough power even UPS actually haven't overload.

For UPS can't communicate to Unraid, this is next issue.

Edited by Vr2Io
Posted (edited)

The UPS can provide 550W and the unRAID server draws about 170-200W The fact of disconnecting the USB cable was just to test it, thinking that unRAID was perhaps giving "wrong" information to the UPS. With the USB cable connected unRAID says the load is about 30%, so I don't think the UPS is struggling to power it.....am I wrong?

Edited by Zippi
Posted (edited)

You haven't do anything wrong, if according official runtime chart, it should provide up to 16min backup time.  Pls try disconnect Unraid server, then use another load with around 200W+ to ensure UPS work with similar loading.

Pls also ensure no any "surge protect power bar" between UPS and the server.

image.thumb.png.d61c45d2cb37f07f16d183adc6402676.png

image.png.ea7f24cbae0b581ee96f832de4d6d438.png

Edited by Vr2Io

What's the power supply in your computer?

I'm making a couple guesses here but... outside chance it has a problem which is quietly putting voltage to ground/earth - as soon as you unplug the battery backup from the wall, you lose ground. (the assumption here is how you're cutting power to test)

You might be able to test this theory by instead shutting off the breaker for that circuit rather than unplugging. I am only familiar with US wiring code in case that matters. If the battery is not plugged right into the wall already, try that too.

You say when on battery everything immediately "shuts down", you mean a graceful shutdown or the power to everything just gets cut? Are you sure you have connected everything to the top outlets (Nr. 10 in picture)? The bottom outlets (Nr. 11 in picture) just provide surge protection, not battery protection.

grafik.png.becdd18a46b727ad57d99d29049e7291.png

When you say "it doesn't work" with APCUPSD or NUT - what doesn't work?
It doesn't get recognized, it doesn't shutdown properly... gonna need some more details here.

@Rysz

When i say immediately shuts down i don't mean graceful shutdown , i mean INSTANTLY shut down, gets cut.

My CyberPower UPS is like in this picture, If I'm not mistaken, all the sockets are Battery Backup + Surge Protected Outlets

However, I had tried both the first hold at the top and the last one at the bottom:

CyberPower_UPS_2.png.a635f808c4519f327b0d086e6a938543.png

APCUPSD and NUT recognize this UPS perfectly and show me all the data correctly, power absorbed in Watts, % load, etc....

@_cjd_

The power supply in my unRAID server is a CORSAIR RM1000e

To test, I literally unplugged the UPS from the wall. These days I will instead try to simulate the lack of voltage by shutting off the breaker for that circuit rather than unplugging.

As you say, I don't want it to lose the earthing by unplugging it. I'll try and let you know.......thanks.

@Vr2Io

Between server and UPS there isn't any "surge protect power bar"

I'll try another load around 200+ Watts and i'll be back here to tell you all.....

Thank you all very much for your help, I will do all these tests that you suggested and I will report everything to you.....