Unraid Server Locked up

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Server is a new system, I had bad ram the last time and have now replaced the ram and tested ok. Server has been running great for several days and then tonight it locked up. I could not access it from the server with monitor keyboard and mouse, I tried a short press on the power button to see if it would shut down but nothing worked. I have the syslog, I had a look at it and I see i/o errors on disk 3. I started the server and disk 3 disabled, do you think that is what caused the lockup? I replaced disk 3 with a known good drive and it is doing the parity sync. If possible can you look at the syslog and let me know if it was because of disk 3 or am I wrong and something else caused the lockup.

Thanks

syslog-127.0.0.1.log

You can start by running memtest, but since memtest is only definitive if it finds errors, if you have multiple sticks try running the server with just one, if the same try with a different one, that will basically rule out bad RAM.

I had a crash before, so I did take out one stick. I will wait for the parity sync to finish and then run another memtest on the single stick, I hope it's not memory I just had them replaced! I wonder if it's DDR5 memory that is the cause. Maybe I should not use the xmp profile on the ram. Anyway, thanks I will carry on and hopefully find an answer. The server will run for a few weeks before it locks up, so it may take some time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update this issue. I tested ram extensively and it passed without issue. What I noticed was that everytime the system locked up drive 3 had contentious sata resets, that was always the last shown message in syslog. So I took drive 3 out of the server and rigged a temporary setup to test with, I plugged the drive directly into the motherboard instead of using the drive tray in the server and since then the server has run without issue and the drive does not have any resets. So I am pretty sure I have a bad sata connector in the server and for whatever reason all of the sata resets would halt unraid.  So just for laughs here is my temp setup for testing! LOL

I have since setup a better option with an external drive cage. Now I am able to add an additional 3 drives to my array, I added the drives and they show up in unraid but I can't find a way to add them to the array. When I look at Global Share Setttings it only shows the current 10 drives, I can't see any setting that lets me add the extra 3 drives to the array, am I missing something?

Thanks

Fixed.JPEG

ultimate-diagnostics-20240612-0956.zip

Do you mean you cannot assign them to the array, or cannot assign them to shares? 

For the former make sure you increase the number of array slots.

P.S. IMHO not much point of including all disks in global shares, if you then add new ones they won't show up in shares, unless you don't forget to add them.

After looking into it a bit closer, it looks like the worker error is a gmail error, it could not do the 2 factor.  But I am still stumped as to why the server keeps locking up. When it halts all of the fans on the cpu, hard drives and gpu just ramp up and stay there, I tried pushing the power button once to do a proper shut down, but it doesn't work, the system is completely halted. I have run the ram test several times and it always passes. The only thing I haven't done yet is install the latest bios update, so tomorrow I will try and install it and then see what happens.

Thanks

Constant call traces, start by running memtest, if nothing is found, and because memtest is only definitive if it finds errors, try with just one stick of RAM, if the same try with a different one, that will basically rule out bad RAM, if issues persist, another thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker containers/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

I have run the memtest with one stick over and over and it passes so I put both sticks back and ran the memtest again and it passed again. It seems to be getting worse, it crashed again last night and I did disable the email. Again I got constant worker errors just before it crashed. Ok, I will run the memtest again with one stick and if it passes again I will try running in safe mode as you suggest. I'm going to update the bios today as well.

Thanks

Just in case here is another syslog from last night.

syslog-127.0.0.1.log.1

Sorry, that's what I am going to do, I just got a pass from both sticks, now I'm going to test with one stick. I updated the bios, it was down by 3 versions so now it's up to date.

After all of the testing is done I will post a new syslog when or if it crashes again.

Thanks again

New problem. When I started up the system on June 19 around 4pm it went into a parity sync so I let it finish and it ran with no errors (both ram sticks) so I thought I would let it run with both ram sticks since I updated the bios to bring it up to current. Then for no reason that I can see in the syslog the system just powered off, no lockup just powered down. Log shows nothing, so I removed one ram stick and powered back up at 7:47 and everything came up but I cancelled the parity sync and let the system run. The system powered down again at 7:56, I didn't notice until around 10 pm, so at 10:47 I powered up the system again and stopped the parity sync. At 2 PM on June 20 I powered up the system again and the last entry for June 20 is a t 10:30 pm when I logged it to see if the system was running and it was. When I got up in the morning the system was powered off again. So I powered up and went into the bios and set defaults just in case I had something configured wrong ( I made one other change, I set the OS from Windows to Other OS). So I powered up again and now it's running I stopped the parity sync again.

I can't see anything in the logs that would make the system power down.  Here are the logs

Thanks

syslog-127.0.0.1.log ultimate-diagnostics-20240621-0828.zip

Well all the hardware is brand new so I don't know what I can do. I can't really go back to the motherboard manufacture with no way to show a problem and the psu is attached to a ups. The only thing that really changed since the lockup issue is a bios update. Maybe I can roll back the bios and try again. Anyway, there doesn't seem to be any issues with unraid according to the logs. I will keep working on the issue and if I come up with an solution I will post.

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

I found the issue! I didn't want to pose until I tested the fix. My server has been running without issue for over a week, the fix came in a new beta bios for my motherboard, see the attachment. I'm still having some hard drive issues, but those issues are caused by my server. I am getting read errors on a drive and it keeps disabling. I took out the drive and ran a test on the drive and it has no issues so the connection in the server is going, this is the second drive that this is happening with. I got an external drive cage and put the "bad drive" in the cage and no more drive issues. So I am replacing this old server which will fix the drive issues. Anyway the solution for my original problem is the bios setting.

Thanks for all the help

setting.JPEG

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I just thought I would give you an update on my system. After doing this I still had random reboots so I went back into the bios and made all the changes shown below and my server has been completely stable now for over 23 days. I went back in and set my memory profile back to xmp 1 and my server has been stable as well so you can run with the xmp profile. I don't know which of these settings fixed the issue. I know there is a problem with intel 13th and 14th gen cpu's, so I'm guessing that has something to do with the issue. I am currently running a beta version of the bios F11b, but since my server is completely stable I will wait for the final version to come out before updating.

I hope this helps if someone is having the same issues I was having. My motherboard is an Asus z790 UD AC with a 14700K core i7.

IMG_0502.JPEG