We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Server Freezing and becoming unresponsive more frequent

hey guys been having an issue where every 30-50 days or so my unraid would freeze up and i would have to hard power cycle it.

Ive been dealing with it but now its getting more frequent (had to do it twice in a week)

I have enabled the syslog to flash but the last couple of times when i try and access the CLI via a keyboard/monitor it times out when attempting to login

now i have finally gotten a diagnostic dump but there does not really seem to be any instructions on where to actually check in the mountain of logs 

Ironically i run Checkmk in a Docker on my Unraid and it shows it stop my Unraid SNMP stopped polling/responding at 10:07 today (i rebooted at 18:00) as well as a CPU drop roughly 5 minutes before which suggests a service crash? 90% of my Bread and Butter is Windows and only 10% is Redhat/CentoS so i dont want to make assumptions

would be awesome if someone could point my at the right direction to investigate before lodging a support ticket 

Checkmk Timeout.png

Checkmk CPU.png

his0-diagnostics-20240604-1746.zip

Posted (edited)

gota ya!

Attached is the one from Flash\Logs but as you have seen its recent so its in the diag dump

yes I am only assuming it froze around 10 as thats when checkmk stop polling SNMP to the Server, but i only discovered it when i got home 17:45 when i logged into the CLI (you can see i put in the wrong password twice)

Jun  4 17:46:07 HIS0 login: FAILED LOGIN 1 FROM tty1 FOR root, Authentication failure
Jun  4 17:46:10 HIS0 login: FAILED LOGIN 2 FROM tty1 FOR , Authentication failure

ran the diagnostic command then sudo reboot to fix 

think its worth running in safe mode to see if the problem continues?

syslog

FYI i know i have a failed disk (not related only happened a couple of days ago)

Edited by Halezy

As far as I can see that log doesn't cover a crash, server booted and then someone or something rebooted it a couple of days later:

Jun  4 17:52:22 HIS0 shutdown[18997]: shutting down for system reboot

When was the last crash?

as i said its not crashing its freezing, almost like the ethernet driver is crashing, it was not responding from 4 June 17:00 onwards

4 June 17:45 was when i plugged a keyboard in and loggin in via CLI to run diag then reboot

2 minutes ago, Halezy said:

as i said its not crashing its freezing

Looks like the server was still working since it started a reboot, you may have a networking issue, but I don't see anything logged in the server about that, so the problem may be outside, when it happens again see if the server is responding normally on the CLI, or boot with GUI mode and test there.

42 minutes ago, Halezy said:

syslog-previous looks more promising i can see some errors today

It shows an OOM event, which appears to have been caused by the Connect plugin, so try uninstalling that and retest, but most likely that wasn't the reason for the crash.