Failed Cache Pool Disk and recovery

Go to solution Solved by Shesakillatwo,

Posted (edited)

The other night my Server began its monthly parity check.  When I got up in the morning it was still running and at about 70% Complete.  It appeared to be moving forward fine with no errors.  However, I was unable to access any of my Docker Containers or VMs.  So I rebooted the Server and upon restart the array did not start due to the fact that one of the two SSD drives on my Cache_apps pool was reported as missing.  It was noted that I could start the array with the single Cache drive so I did so.  

While it took longer than normal the Array did come up and all VM's and Docker containers "Seem" to be functioning.  As I understand it I am now running on one cache drive as things sit.  I do however now have on my Shares Tab an orange triangle next to the share names that used that pool and if I mouse over the triangle it says that "Some or all files unprotected".  I have new drives arriving today and these are larger than the current working drive and the failed drive which we both 240GB.  

My question is the correct way to reset the Cache_apps pool to use the two new drives with minimum disruption or down time as my security Cameras and Home Assistant system run on this server.  I clearly am also not really comfortable with the message that is appearing as I definitely do not want to have to rebuild the entire server.  

Thanks in advance for any hints/assistance.......

Edited by Shesakillatwo
  • Solution

So I assume my steps are:

1. Stop the array
  2. Install the new drives
  3. assign one of the new drives as the second Cache Drive in the pool
  4. start the array and let things settle / balance / copy
  5. Stop the array again
  6. replace the original Cache Drive in the pool with the second new drive added in step 2 above
  7. start the array again and let things settle / balance / copy
  8. All should be done and back to normal