Help with debug 2 failed disks without reason + rebuild/fix without lose data

Posted (edited)

Hello guys!

I was running unraid for few years, i was using an Seagate 8 TB as parity 1 and an HGST as parity 2.

Few weeks ago i bought an 8 TB WD Red and did 4 times plre clear without any issue.

So i swapped the HGST for the WD Red brand new, and the rebuild was complete, after, i changed my data disk 1 (4 TB) for the HGST 8 TB.

that was complete too, but days after the things starts to become strange, with slow speeds, and sata communication changing from 3.0 to 1.5 and unstable, so i verifyed the cables, change the power supply and nothing.

So i bought a new sata controller 6 ports pcie on aliexpress and put on to eliminate the onboard sata ports from onboard. but still the same, but now i think after power off and power on so many times to swap cables, ports and etc. i got two disks disabled

Parity 2 and Data disck 2 that is one of my better ones, its a seagate skyhawk 4 tb (that was i efford to buy when i started my unraid), that works fine with a very good speed.

I dont know what to do now, i cant lose the data of this disk 2, can anyone help me to proceed to avoid data loss causes i think this two disks is perfectly fine but i dont know how to enable them again on my Unraid, i attached the diagnostics, i attached two pictures, don't say about the power cables heheh, is this way causes i have to dissambly all my rack19" cabinet.

Thanks in advance!!!

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-07 at 21.39.53 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-07 at 21.39.53.jpeg

delorean-diagnostics-20240607-2128.zip

Edited by Ronan C
  • Ronan C changed the title to Help with debug 2 failed disks without reason + rebuild/fix without lose data

Diags are after rebooting, so we can't see what happened, but looks like you have one splitter for 5 disks? Even if it's Molex not recommended, try to only power no more than two drives from a splitter, after correcting that try rebuilding the disks, you can do both at the same time, post new diags if it fails.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Diags are after rebooting, so we can't see what happened, but looks like you have one splitter for 5 disks? Even if it's Molex not recommended, try to only power no more than two drives from a splitter, after correcting that try rebuilding the disks, you can do both at the same time, post new diags if it fails.

Hello JorgeB thanks for the replay dude!

When you mean one splitter for 5 disks, you are talking about the sata power cable from the power supply right? 

If is it, yes, i have 5 disks connected at one power supply out, and other disks are connect 2 disks per power supply cableout.

But i used this way since i build the system, its strange, this mess started after i upgraded my Cabinet, from old rack 19" to this new one that support more disks as show in the image i posted.

I bought a new power supply yesterday, ill came today its a 500w power supply, and old one i have is 450W... but are running for years.

Ill change everything, after power up i will put the diagnostics here again.

The the data disk 2 was disabled i can't discover why, and cant enable, so means the disks is not disabled, its unusable, like was removed, causes the disable term looks like we can re-enable.. and its not the really.

You say to check all cables and try to rebuild the disks again, how i do this?

Its better re-build the disk 2 data first, after finished, i do the parity 2 rebuild? i mean, for safety.

Or is better do the both same time?

Just in case, i did short smart tests on both disks, and passed really fine. i think the unraid disable disks without really smart errors of other kind of erros its wrong, or may be bug, i dont know.

Thanks in advance mate!

Ronan

After change the power supply, clean all sata connectors and power supply connectors with contact cleaner, i power on the server, check if the contents of disk 2 was emulated fine, i test the copy speeds, and after i tested with the docker disk speed, and all disks presented a good speed as usual.

After this, i stopped the array, removed parity 2 and disk 2 from pool, started, stop again, re -added this disks e start the array in maintenance mode, after i clicked rebuild button, and now is rebuilding the two disks.. hope everything was fine after 12 hours.

I did the right thing right Jorge?

Thanks in advance!

unraid disk 2 self test short.JPG

unraid parity 2 self test short.JPG

unraid rebuild.JPG

On 6/8/2024 at 7:24 PM, JorgeB said:

If the emulated disks were mounting and contents look good rebuilding is the next step, any errors during post new diags.

Hello JorgeB!

Thanks for your tips!

Rebuild was good, i did on last sunday, the parity 2 was rebuild, and data disk 2 too. no errors at all, and i did the two same time.

Yesterday i started a parity check just to confirm, and now my disk 4 are displaying errors, when i checked the disk  4 information i see the sata connection are negotiated at only 1.5 gbps, this disk are connected to a ASM1166 x6 sata ports controller, brand new.

This thing of bad sata negotiation was that started all my headache with my unraid, i dont know what can i do anymore, i swapped power supply's, cleaned my sata cables with a small brush and a proper contact cleaner spray.

I attached the diagnostics and some prints, thank you in advance Jorge!!!

Screenshots:

disk4erros.thumb.JPG.b0c335eb10b2218ef2fa3e7185e22668.JPG

unraiddisk4sata.JPG.092b751b4351adfed1975a2cbe445fba.JPG

smarttest.thumb.JPG.5f884b981873832d94683df12ac76619.JPG

disk4.thumb.JPG.ca87289472a0c515633274bbce363165.JPG

parityhistory.thumb.JPG.d58de32ce5a349b36585f3971416e946.JPG

delorean-diagnostics-20240611-0911.zip

That is initially logged as a disk problem, though after the first error it looks more like a connection/power issue, still, and because of the 1st error, recommend running an extended SMART test, if it passes, replace the cables and try again.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

That is initially logged as a disk problem, though after the first error it looks more like a connection/power issue, still, and because of the 1st error, recommend running an extended SMART test, if it passes, replace the cables and try again.

Thank you Jorge, one more small question, do you know if power supply or not good quality power cable can make the disk slowing down the sata port speeds, keeping unstable, changing from 6 to 3 and to 1.5? of this can be the sata cables?

If will be the sata cables i will have to order another on ali express...

THank you!

9 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

usually it would be more a SATA cable issue.

Thank you Jorge, i am currently using this one, but mine is 6x6, i am using two sets, one on onboard sata ports and one into the PCI-E 6 sata ports, i think its not good enough ;-(

image.png.b526501fddf380eb36f5ccc6e42e7b05.png

Hello people!

This night i run the parity check again, and now i get erros on disk 4, after the erros unraid has disabled the disk.

Smart screen says the disk is healthy, why?

At this moment the parity check is still running remaining 2 hours to finish (are checking the rest of 8 tb disks)

I attached the diagnosis file, should i replase this disk?

I try to run a extended smart tests on this disks, but after press the start button, nothing happens, i think this is because the disk is disabled by unraid or for still running parity check.

any tip is welcome!

Thank you all

image.thumb.png.128b69996b0cf7eacf1c9ffd21181754.png

image.png.949d7e090f80ab7ca1ab1e7b5bdfa21f.png

delorean-diagnostics-20240617-1104.zip