[SOLVED] Ver 6.12.10 Disk 5 (SDH) showing as disabled but passing smart test

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Disk was already disabled at boot, so we can't see what happened, SMART looks OK, so most likely a power/connection issue, if the emulated disk looks OK, replace cables to rule that out and rebuild, if it happens again save the diags before rebooting.

12 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Disk was already disabled at boot, so we can't see what happened, SMART looks OK, so most likely a power/connection issue, if the emulated disk looks OK, replace cables to rule that out and rebuild, if it happens again save the diags before rebooting.

Thank you JorgeB, always appreciate you.

Just some clarification as I am a bit confused.

Current uptime is for the server 22 days 11 minutes. And I saw the drive being disabled maybe a couple of hours before I made the post yesterday. Prior to that, there were no warnings or errors. I still have not rebooted the server and the logs were freshly pulled. Extended SMART test for the drive is currently at 60%, but I can pull the diagnostics logs once again after completion.

Second thing is I have a 12 bay chassis with a back plain, no SATA cables directly to drives. The chassis hasn't been moved or shifted since it's been powered on. Should I swap two of the drives to test, or is this maybe a one-off situation? Any other tips you could advise on for me to physically look at?

• Solution
10 hours ago, PsyCl0ne said:

And I saw the drive being disabled maybe a couple of hours before I made the post yesterday

You're right, sorry about that, must have been looking at the wrong diags.

Disk got disable during spin up, and there are some known issues with spin up, LSI and some Seagate disks, so would recommend trying he below or disabling spin down.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/103938-69x-lsi-controllers-ironwolf-disks-disabling-summary-fix/

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2024 at 2:24 AM, JorgeB said:

You're right, sorry about that, must have been looking at the wrong diags.

Disk got disable during spin up, and there are some known issues with spin up, LSI and some Seagate disks, so would recommend trying he below or disabling spin down.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/103938-69x-lsi-controllers-ironwolf-disks-disabling-summary-fix/

JorgeB, thank you for your help. Apologies for the delay in updating the post, I wanted to make sure that my system was stable or not.

I'll update the thread you posted with details of my drive, but as of right now after multiple reboots, as well as re-enabling sleep on the drive I have not seen any errors come back up.

A side note, I only had to disable EPC on the drive as "Low Current Spinup" was already disabled on the drive.

For reference, if someone is searching for the same model drive as I have:

Model Number: ST18000NM002J-2TV133
    Serial Number: ZR#####
    Firmware Revision: PAL7
    World Wide Name: 5000C500E4AF671D
    Date Of Manufacture: Week 16, 2022
    Drive Capacity (TB/TiB): 18.00/16.37
    Native Drive Capacity (TB/TiB): 18.00/16.37

• Like 1
  • PsyCl0ne changed the title to [SOLVED] Ver 6.12.10 Disk 5 (SDH) showing as disabled but passing smart test