S3 Suspend & WOL for X11SSH-F motherboard

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello

I have X11SSH-F motherboard from 2017, original BIOS revision (I did not upgrade it)
I want to enable S3 Suspend & Wake On Lan, I understand I need to enable something in Power Management or ACPI, and then enable waking up by LAN somewhere inside PCI settings.
That's what AI said :)

But I can't figure out that in the BIOS settings.

Neither manual says anything..

Should I do anything or that's already enabled by default?

I am just going to try it then..

So there is S3 plugin, right?

I want to ask also, what happens with the VMs running on the server after resume? Are they resumed automatically, like I have a continuous backup to cloud storage..?

Thanks

I sent request in parallel to Supermicro and got a reply that since it is a server board it does not support S3, but it does support WOL by default 

What's the purpose of WOL then?

What would you suggest? I rarely use server on weekdays, during weekends I saw couple of movies and my wife needs her photo archive

On weekdays it just sweeps dust and spread the fans noise across the apartment 😞

Yes, disks are going to standby, but fans are spinning regardless.. if not S3, is there something close that reduces computing activity to a minimum?

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You can enable array auto start, it won't start if there's any missing disk.

Is it safe? Why it is not default then?

I usually create a screenshot of drives assignment before every shutdown.

When I start the server, and once GUI is available I see unraid displays 'Configuration valid" and then I check the drives assignment against the previously saved screenshot.

Then I start the array

Is there something here redundant? What you say I can skip all that.. 

Sorry for idiotic question

I also didn't know that I can use WOL on the system that was completely shutdown. 

Edited by michael123
  • Solution
38 minutes ago, michael123 said:

Is it safe? Why it is not default then?

Yes, it won't start if there's a device missing, not sure why it's not the defualt, IMHO it should be.

39 minutes ago, michael123 said:

I also didn't know that I can use WOL on the system that was completely shutdown.

It should still work, possibly it needs to be enabled in the BIOS, power up via IPMI works for sure, you can get a free app like IPMIView

• Thanks 1