Can't register key - "Error - Something went wrong. - Starter key recovered successfully"

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Just booted up my server for the first time. Purchased Starter key. Got this error message while trying to install, and my server remained "unregistered" on the dashboard. So, I tried looking it up, saw some people recommending a reboot for a similar issue. So I rebooted. No change.

Recovered the key. Got the same error message, dashboard still says "unregistered," so I rebooted again. Tried to recover the key again. Same error. Rebooted again. Still unregistered.

Amidst all this. I also got an alert saying "USB drive failed - USB drive is not read/write," but it went away.

I shut down the server, popped the USB drive into my Windows PC. See link for image of what the file folders look like. Top level is utter gibberish (which is not how it looked before booting), but config folder looks fine.

I've found a few threads like this and all the answers just kind of imply you need to get a new drive, but don't really offer any insight into what's going on, how to fix it, or how to prevent it in the future. Is it really just a crapshoot, and the only option is to buy a new drive? This was a brand new drive, and one of the most highly recommended ones I saw in here and on Reddit (Samsung Fit Plus). Am I just going to have to keep buying drives until one works?

unraid error.png

unraid config.png

unraid drive.png

trashgravitron-diagnostics-20240612-1219.zip

Edited by Andible
Added daignostics