Question about Unraid and Docker versioning for self hosted repository

Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

Hey folks,

I had attempted to ask this over in Lounge and a couple other places before, because I am absolutely not sure if the fault isn't somewhere with me and the way I am doing it, but those attempts all remained unanswered, so I am trying for support this time.

I am hosting my own Docker Repository as its own container, to push my own images to and make use of them for custom dockers I want to use within Unraid's docker tab. The Unraid version is 6.12.8.

This all works pretty well, with one minor but slightly irritating thing: any of my custom dockers that refer to my local repository all sooner or later show "Not available" for its version. Which makes wanting to have them pull updates a little hassle. I always have to go into the advanced menu and have them force update to get the latest image I pushed and then have to remove the dangling left over image. It works of course but I would hope to solve this and have the process be a little smoother.

It might fairly well be that I am doing something wrong with the whole setup. Is it because it is an insecure docker repository, aka running on HTTP? I don't expose it anywhere, the purpose of this registry is to be just used by Unraid itself so I'd hope not to have route it through a proxy and a deal with issuing a local cert.

I might do that if its a requirement but I would be glad to hear first if that is truly necessary for Unraid to be able to do version checks on a repository.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, the lack of SSL / the registry being ran insecure seems to be the general issue. I finally got some traction in the German subforum with my thread there and in the end what had helped was switching to Gitea, which I had planned to reverse proxy out anyway (and Gitea also includes their own Docker registry). After I did that and moved some of my images over to its registry, I switched the containers to the public HTTPS URL of it and voila, no more problems for Unraid to detect image updates.

Approaching Gitea directly without HTTPS also made Unraid not able to do version checks, so it indeed must be a secured registry it seems.