Unraid USB key doesn't boot. No USB backup but have access to files on original Unraid USB key

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

Unraid server stopped booting after a cold restart. When looking at the boot sequence locally it does see the Unraid USB key but gets stuck during boot process (tried with GUI, without, and safe mode). I pulled out the USB key and put it in an Ubuntu machine to run a checkdisk using the built-in Disk app.  It did flag a dirty bit. I ran the repair and it seemed to work but when I try to boot with it I once again get stuck during the boot process.

I have a flash key config backup but it's out of date and I've updated the array with additional drives and done other changes  since the old backup. Fortunately, I was able to copy all the files of the USB key to another computer. What would be the steps to recover to another USB key using the files from the old key?

Edited by JKunraid
typos
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, JorgeB said:

First you can try redoing the flash drive, if you managed to backup that one, recreate it and see if it boots with the stock config, if yes, restore the /config folder from the backup.

I created a new USB key using the Unraid software utility. The system boots but of course the drive mappings and everything else isn't configured or a valid license.. Are you saying this can all be fixed by simply overwriting the /config folder on the new USB by copying over the /config folder on the old USB key?

Edited by JKunraid
typo
  • Solution

Make a copy of the old usb key to another machine.

4 hours ago, JKunraid said:

I created a new USB key using the Unraid software utility.

Do this again, but use the old usb key instead of a new one.

Copy just the config folder out of your backup to the old USB key.

3 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Make a copy of the old usb key to another machine.

Do this again, but use the old usb key instead of a new one.

Copy just the config folder out of your backup to the old USB key.

Seems to have worked. Thanks so much.