Failed Parity and Data disk at the same time.

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello,

I checked on my server today and had a red x on a data disk and on a Parity drive.

They both showed the same error count, so i assume some CRC power error threw them both out of wack.

My question is how do I proceed, Do i replace the data disk and start rebuild? 

do i repair the disk (XFS) and then replace the parity?

Is it possible to just reseat the 2 disks and see if they throw errors?

I had to reboot before i could get the diags,

here are the diags after a restart.

tower-diagnostics-20240617-1617.zip

17 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You can try force-enabling the other disks, since they look healthy, to rebuild disk6, but before that, disk22 is unmountable, looks like it was never formatted, is that correct?

Ok, lets give it a shot.  If you could give me a quick guide on what to do i have done stuff like this before with my server (see post history) and im very capable of following instructions.

Background:

disk 22 was being added to the array and had just finished its preclear.  When i went to format it via the GUI, it was hanging and not responding,  i then initialized a restart of the server. as i clicked the button i noticed the red x on drive 2 and parity. hence why i dont have the original diags :(

OK, so try this:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Check all assignments and assign any missing disk(s) if needed, for now leave old disk6 assigned to its slot, as a place holder
-IMPORTANT - Check both "parity is already valid" and "maintenance mode" and start the array (note that the GUI will still show that data on parity disk(s) will be overwritten, this is normal as it doesn't account for the checkbox, but it won't be as long as it's checked)
-Stop array
-Unassign disk6
-Start array (in normal mode now) and post new diags.

• Solution
12 hours ago, Gsusking2 said:

Disk 6 is still showing a red x when i start the array after the xfs file system check.

That's normal, but the emulated disk is mounting now, look for a lost+found folder, if all look good get a new disk and rebuild.

Although not impossible, I would not recommend that, if you don't want to use a new disk, format disk22, copy everything from the emulated disk there, then you can do a new config without disk6, it won't be the fastest way, but less error prone.

Thanks,

I'm just gonna buy a new disk and hope for the best and add 22 to the array after.

Thank you again Jorge,  If you're ever in Canada let me know ill hook you up.

in the mean time ill buy you a beer through your link.

You are always so helpful, patient and kind in these situations.  You're a true gem

• Like 1