Adding extra drive to Windows 11 VM Unraid 6.12.10 --> drive not visible in Windows Explorer

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I have read I think most topics concerning adding a passthru drive to my windows VM. A lot of them however are older and not using the latest 6.12.10 version where some or all elements are included in the software. However after adding the drive I still can't see it in Windows. 

My goal is to add an extra drive dedicated to the VM because I want to use it as storage for the Blue-Iris camerasoftware. My Windows VM is installed on a 2TB nvmeOn drive.

What did I do:

1. I added a small 1TB SSD drive for testing purposes to see how it all works before I will get a big regulair HDD. In the Unassigned Devices settings for that drive I've selected the Passed through option. See screenshot.
  2. In this screenshot You see the disc serial that I used in the VM settings to add the drive. See the second screenshot. You can't see it in the screenshot, but the location is /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Samsung_SSD_870_EVO_1TB_S75CNX0WC40020Z. The VM updates without an issue and windows 11 runs. 
  3. However, I can't see the disc in the VM Windows Exporer.. I attached a disc manager screenshot and I assume the schijf 0 (=disc0) is the drive. I can't however give it a drive letter as suggested in one of the other topics to make it visible. That option is not available.

So, my question is if my settings and steps are correct and what should I do to make the drive visible?

screenshot passed through1.JPG

screenshot passed through2.JPG

screenshot passed through3.JPG

Edited by Teejoo
  • Teejoo changed the title to Adding extra drive to Windows 11 VM Unraid 6.12.10 --> drive not visible in Windows Explorer
12 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

According to the screenshot the device is not formatted NTFS. You can re-format with windows, remove the partition first, then create a new one and format.

That was the issue! Duh.. Thanks! Hopefully the screenshots can help other people adding a drive.

• Like 1