Vertically mounted HDD's

I am just looking for opinions and input. I am looking at adding a 3x5.25" to 4x3.5" hotswap bay adapter to my server. The unit I am looking at mounts the drives on their sides (so vertically). Just wondering what opinions are. All my drives are WD Red NAS drives (if that matters). I was googling this and found conflicting stories and some that mentioned that cooling may be adversly affected. 

driveadapter.jpg

6 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Be mindful that the rest of the fans in the case are assisting, not fighting it.

How would it fight it? Do you mean that they are not moving air in opposing directions (Sorry if this is a stupid question)?

40 minutes ago, DarB said:

How would it fight it? Do you mean that they are not moving air in opposing directions (Sorry if this is a stupid question)?

If the disk enclosure fan is pulling air into the case, all other fans should be pushing air out of the case, and all passive (non-fan) openings should be taped off.

You want all the air moving through the case to be forced over the hard drives first.

32 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

If the disk enclosure fan is pulling air into the case, all other fans should be pushing air out of the case, and all passive (non-fan) openings should be taped off.

You want all the air moving through the case to be forced over the hard drives first.

OK gotcha! Sorry... should have got that from your first post... 

Thanks!