PSU for 24-disk build (single-rail? 5v power?)

1 minute ago, PSteward said:

For the unit itself I recommend going big, brand name, check that it fit in your case, and plugs are on the correct side (they vary). I also went with 80+ Platinum but you can do whatever.
As for the cables you likely won't find it all in one box and need to find good 3rd party for the molex adapters, just ensuring that anything you connect to the power supply itself is compatible (pin outs are important), otherwise just molex breakouts should be fine if good quality (even though we wish we could avoid, it's impossible!).

Ok, well seems the Corsair RMx 1000W ships with three such cables. And if I’m wrong I have checked with their support and it’s possible to buy more from them. 

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-components-accessories/cp-8920112/type-3-flat-black-peripheral-cable-with-4-connectors-cp-8920112

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, kakburken said:

Ok, well seems the Corsair RMx 1000W ships with three such cables. And if I’m wrong I have checked with their support and it’s possible to buy more from them. 

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-components-accessories/cp-8920112/type-3-flat-black-peripheral-cable-with-4-connectors-cp-8920112

Sounds like you have a plan!

4 pin splitters and extenders are ok, but not ideal. The fewer connections to get loose or corroded the better. If you can power everything with just the PSU connected cables that is the best option.

• Upvote 1
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Sounds like you have a plan!

4 pin splitters and extenders are ok, but not ideal. The fewer connections to get loose or corroded the better. If you can power everything with just the PSU connected cables that is the best option.

Yes i hope so. :)

ive contacted all of them asking if theres possible to buy more cables since all of them ships with only one cable (one or two had 2 cables), except corsair that seems to have three cables in the package. So far only corsair and adata has replied back. adata did not sell extra cables, so that PSU are out of the equation. I also removed the seasonic 1300W PSU from the list because $566 was a bit to steep a price for me. and 1300W on a single-rail seems not recommended either.

Im waiting for a response on the others and see what i decide. but corsair is high on the list at the moment since it has all cables included. Tho my ignorance makes me a bit nervous about if the 12V+ 999.6W is enough to handle the spin-up.

anyway, huge thanks for all the help so far! hopefully im not going to have to disturb you with any more questions. :)

Edited by kakburken
3 hours ago, kakburken said:

nervous about if the 12V+ 999.6W is enough to handle the spin-up.

It's plenty. That rating is for continuous use, and spin-up is only a very short period of time. Good quality power supplies handle peak loads even above their continuous rating, so that supply will give you a margin of safety even as it ages. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

It's plenty. That rating is for continuous use, and spin-up is only a very short period of time. Good quality power supplies handle peak loads even above their continuous rating, so that supply will give you a margin of safety even as it ages. 

Ok thanks, that’s good to hear!

chieftec got back now and said that there’s more cables available for purchase. But he also said:

”However, there is no more socket free to you to insert extra cables buying from us to PSU when I count the current power cables included in the box of the PSU.”

I guess he means that it’s only 3 such connections on the PSU and if I use all of them for the backplane there’s no connections left for other things (like SSD cache pool).

So I’m getting closer and closer to be an owner of a Corsair PSU. :)

Edited by kakburken
Posted (edited)

i went with the corsair rm1000x 1000W PSU, since that one came with enough cables and had enough connectors on the PSU to connect three cables to the backplane and have connectors on the PSU over for use with SSD. It was also possible to buy more cables if needed from them. To top it off they had a super fast support (email) and very helpful. It was also among the cheapest of the bunch even though it was at the top tier marked as gold (top in its tier).

All the other PSU's ended up either having to few connectors on the PSU or having to few cables (and couldnt buy more). Some didnt even respond (thermaltake) when i mailed them and asked. One brand even tried to have me buying some thirdparty inexpensive no-brand cables that i have no idea if they work with the PSU.

thanks for all the help!

EDIT: i was wrong about the amount of cables in the box (only came with two), so i had to order one spare cable from corsair.

EDIT2: apparently corsair also likes to lie, because the cable they claimed was a "spare part cable" for that specific PSU, that according to them is identical to the cables that comes with the PSU, is not at all identical since the pins are not at the same spot in the connector. So i have to de-pin them and insert them in the correct slots.

Edited by kakburken