Really Confused NAS mobo, Intel, AMD.... what route to go now?

Hey all

So my think server with a E3-1226 v3 ans 16gb ram is now nearly 10 years old. Its on its second PSU and its starting having issue booting up. I think something is wrong with the memory controller as i have to mess around with Ram stick at times to get it to boot. 

Anyway i want to change the CPU, Mobo and Ram to something new. I have seen some threads on very efficient NAS mobos's etc. I currently have a Nvidia 1060 to handle some transcodes (max 2/3 remote streams) ideally i would like to handle this with a more efficient cpu that can do transcoding. 

I run a few dockers and cetainly nothing taxing, transcoding being the main one. now and then a very basic VM but no heavy lifting. my current CPU only goes to full load on bootup. 

I dont really want to spend a fortune £300-400 $350-450 ish. what is the current recomendation for motherboard/CPU? I have a pcie card that handles my HDD's with breakout cables etc so dont need masses of sata ports on the board. is AMD capable of transcoding like quicksync? seems amd are bang for buck better off with number of cores etc?

• 3 weeks later...