passthrough integrated GPU 12th Gen Intel® 6Core™ i5-1200K @ 3663 MHz --> Code 43 in VM

Go to solution Solved by SimonF,

I want to passthrough the gpu so I can use it with Blu-Iris. I use an ASRock Z790 Pro RS/D4.

After reading, trying and testing a lot of options i found in this forum and reddit I stil didn't manage to succesfully get it working. 

What did I do so far:

BIOS has Intel Graphics Virtualization Technology enabled

BIOS has IOMMU enabled

The GPU is recognized in the Unraid device manager: IOMMU group 0:[8086:4680] 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation AlderLake-S GT1 (rev 0c). Binded the GPU to VFIO.

In the Windows 11 VM the GPU is recognized al Intel(R) UHD Graphics 770. However, I get an "error Code 43 device can't start that I can't get rid off. I already installed the latest Intel driver, but no change. 

So, anybody has ideas how to fix this? 

• Solution
58 minutes ago, Teejoo said:

I want to passthrough the gpu so I can use it with Blu-Iris. I use an ASRock Z790 Pro RS/D4.

After reading, trying and testing a lot of options i found in this forum and reddit I stil didn't manage to succesfully get it working. 

What did I do so far:

BIOS has Intel Graphics Virtualization Technology enabled

BIOS has IOMMU enabled

The GPU is recognized in the Unraid device manager: IOMMU group 0:[8086:4680] 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation AlderLake-S GT1 (rev 0c). Binded the GPU to VFIO.

In the Windows 11 VM the GPU is recognized al Intel(R) UHD Graphics 770. However, I get an "error Code 43 device can't start that I can't get rid off. I already installed the latest Intel driver, but no change. 

So, anybody has ideas how to fix this? 

I have not been able to pass thru igpu to a vm. If you just need for encoding etc it may work with sriov plugkn? this will allow a virtual gpu but no output via the hdmi etc.

36 minutes ago, SimonF said:

I have not been able to pass thru igpu to a vm. If you just need for encoding etc it may work with sriov plugkn? this will allow a virtual gpu but no output via the hdmi etc.

I just installed it, but I have to check how it works. I will let you guys know how it goes!

• Teejoo changed the title to passthrough integrated GPU 12th Gen Intel® 6Core™ i5-1200K @ 3663 MHz --> Code 43 in VM
Posted (edited)

I installed the Intel Graphics SR-IOV plugin and created one virtual GPU. The virtual GPU is visible in the system devices, I could bind it to vfio and select it in the VM's settings.

No Code 43 in the Windows VM and as you can see the GPU is now present in the taskmanager. So far so good.

However, I discovered I get an error when I restart the server that the VM autostart failed because of a vfio binding error. When I manually start the VM everything is fine.

I'm wondering if it takes a longer time to bind the virtual GPU so it's not ready when the VM starts? When I check the log all devices are bound succesfully.

vfio logl.JPG

GPU passthrough VM.JPG

error.JPG

Edited by Teejoo
23 minutes ago, Teejoo said:

I installed the Intel Graphics SR-IOV plugin and created one virtual GPU. The virtual GPU is visible in the system devices, I could bind it to vfio and select it in the VM's settings.

No Code 43 in the Windows VM and as you can see the GPU is now present in the taskmanager. So far so good.

However, I discovered I get an error when I restart the server that the VM autostart failed because of a vfio binding error. When I manually start the VM everything is fine.

I'm wondering if it takes a longer time to bind the virtual GPU so it's not ready when the VM starts? When I check the log all devices are bound succesfully.

vfio logl.JPG

GPU passthrough VM.JPG

error.JPG

Dont bind to vfio. At reboot vfio will try to bind before plugin is loaded I think hence no sub device

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, SimonF said:

Dont bind to vfio. At reboot vfio will try to bind before plugin is loaded I think hence no sub device

Thank YOU!! that was the solution. I didn't know you don't have to do that using the plugin.

Besides that, I hope at a certain time this plugin wil be integrated in Unraid. That would help a lot of people using the integrated GPU's in their VM's.

1 minute ago, Teejoo said:

Thank YOU!! that was the solution. I didn't know you don't have to do that using the plugin.

Besides that, I hope at a certain time this plugin wil be integrated in Unraid. That would help a lot of people using the integrated GPU's in their VM's.

FYI currently the sr-iov does not work in v7. Reason it is not integrated is because the driver is not stock. Intel are working on XE driver which when that had sriov I will look to support in VM Gui. currently looking to be 6.10/6.11 version of the kernel.

4 minutes ago, SimonF said:

FYI currently the sr-iov does not work in v7. Reason it is not integrated is because the driver is not stock. Intel are working on XE driver which when that had sriov I will look to support in VM Gui. currently looking to be 6.10/6.11 version of the kernel.

Thanks for the update. I'll wait with 7 then..