System Froze during rebuild

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

While rebuilding a bad disk (Disk2) the system froze and I had to do a hard shutdown. I disconnected the new disk for disk 2 assignment.

After rebooting 1 parity drive and 1 Array disk were not mounted and were in unassigned disks.

I stopped the array and tried to assign to the proper devices and am unable to start the array.

(Screenshot attached)unraid1.thumb.png.c28f05e739b20ffaf73a12024be7d712.png

unraid2.thumb.png.c5c40b31f8fa70e4c1c6b4e9f1c7ccfb.png

I'm including the diagnostic log... 

If I reset them back to not installed I can start the array.

unraid3.thumb.png.5fd74b86e2470c010c4b707f958bdcb0.png

I am thinking at this point I need to use New Config and remove the lost disks?

Any help will be appreciated.tower-diagnostics-20240703-1022.zip

• Solution

We can try to re-enable the dropped disks, but it will only work if parity is still valid:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Check all assignments and assign any missing disk(s) if needed, including the new disk2, replacement disk should be same size or larger than the old one
-IMPORTANT - Check both "parity is already valid" and "maintenance mode" and start the array (note that the GUI will still show that data on parity disk(s) will be overwritten, this is normal as it doesn't account for the checkbox, but it won't be as long as it's checked)
-Stop array
-Unassign disk2
-Start array (in normal mode now) and post new diags.

11 hours ago, tcshavasu said:

Ok, all the disks (except Disk2) are back

From what I can see you didn't assign a disk2 as per the instructions above, but if you don't need its data, you can just assign a new disk2 later, note that it will be cleared first.

Thanks for getting the array online again... unfortunatly the system crashed/froze during parity check.

This time Disk 7 was lost and when attempting to re-add it, It came up as Unmountable: Unsupported or no file system.

I tried running the repair in Maintenance mode and it said couldn't find primary block and attempted to find secondary. 

After leaving it overnite to check, at some point the system froze again and required a hard shut down.

I believe the problem may stem from a bad SATA controler since the drive issues seem random occuring on different drives.

I included the diag from before starting the array and after. I have paused the data rebuild so it won't crash again and can ues the array for today.

Thanks again...

tower-diagnostics-20240708-0738.zip tower-diagnostics-20240708-0747.zip

Thanks, I have seen in my research that the ASM controler I install recently are the cause of some issues.

I have ordered the LSI Logic Controller Card LSI00301 SAS 9207-8i 8Port Internal SAS/SATA 6Gb/s to replace it.

Hopefully with better results.

Thanks