Assign dedicated NIC to Windows VM: Do I have to passthrough the NIC...or not?

What I want to achieve: A separate VLAN for my IP security camera's and Blue Iris security software that I installed on a Windows VM with a dedicated NIC installed in the Unraid server for the VM. I will setup the VLAN in my managed switch.

I passed through the Intel Ethernet Controller X550 to the VM, but now I don't know what I need to do to make the VM make exclusively use of this NIC.. Because I passed it to the VM it's not visible anymore in the Unraid VM settings, so that's why I'm wondering if passing through is the correct way. Hence my shoutout to the forum that already helped me a lot!

Can anybody give me some pointers how to achieve this?

41 minutes ago, Teejoo said:

What I want to achieve: A separate VLAN for my IP security camera's and Blue Iris security software that I installed on a Windows VM with a dedicated NIC installed in the Unraid server for the VM. I will setup the VLAN in my managed switch.

I passed through the Intel Ethernet Controller X550 to the VM, but now I don't know what I need to do to make the VM make exclusively use of this NIC.. Because I passed it to the VM it's not visible anymore in the Unraid VM settings, so that's why I'm wondering if passing through is the correct way. Hence my shoutout to the forum that already helped me a lot!

Can anybody give me some pointers how to achieve this?

Yes that is correct you will need to configure in the guest os. Nic will only be visable to guest os

1 hour ago, SimonF said:

Yes that is correct you will need to configure in the guest os. Nic will only be visable to guest os

So I need to configure the VLAN in Windows 11? I'm going to look into that.

I thought / expected I needed to configure this in the VM settings so the whole VM was only connected to the intel NIC. Do I need to disable/change something in the Unraid VM network settings to disable that connection?

3 minutes ago, Teejoo said:

So I need to configure the VLAN in Windows 11? I'm going to look into that.

I thought / expected I needed to configure this in the VM settings so the whole VM was only connected to the intel NIC. Do I need to disable/change something in the Unraid VM network settings to disable that connection?

If you remove the mac address from the template that will remove the virtual nic. But you will need to add vlan cfg to physical nic in vm unless that is connected to access port for that vlan in the switch which is allocated to the nic.

1 hour ago, SimonF said:

If you remove the mac address from the template that will remove the virtual nic. But you will need to add vlan cfg to physical nic in vm unless that is connected to access port for that vlan in the switch which is allocated to the nic.

Thanks, I will do that as soon as I got the switch and report back when everything is running.