Replacement drive(s) not showing up

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hiya,

I've got an 8 TB drive in my array that's beginning to fail and none of my replacement drives are getting detected by unraid. I've got three different spares, have tried plugging in one at a time with different ports and cables and... there's just no sign of them in unraid. If anyone knows what might cause this, I'd appreciate the helptower-diagnostics-20240722-0743.zip!

Oh and the spares are all 14TB drives (as are both of my parity drives).

24 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

What license do you have---  Basic, Plus or Pro?

You may need to pull that 8TB drive that is going bad if it is a Plus license...

Be sure and reboot after you do this!

I have a Pro key and am only using 12 drives.

33 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Google "wd 3.3 sata power" in case that is the problem.

I have some shucked WD drives in the array that are running with molex adapters but these new ones aren't shucked. Two of them are WD Ultrastar drives and the third is a WD Red Plus. None of them are detected no matter where I plug them in, even if I try to swap a currently working drive out for one of them.

1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

Nothing to do with Unraid then, you need to see what the problem is with the disks, you can try them in another computer to see if they are really working or not.

I'll do just that--thank you!

On 7/22/2024 at 9:07 AM, JorgeB said:

Google "wd 3.3 sata power" in case that is the problem.

So I ended up testing the drives in another machine and they worked. After that, I figured I'd try them using some molex to sata connectors I had laying around, and even though they weren't shucked drives, that seemed to do the trick. I suppose I should try and look for a model of power supply that won't have that problem with the 3.3v pin if this issue can extend to WD Reds and Data Center drives?