[Solved] Rosewill RC-218 using Marvell 88SX7042 chipset not recognized by unRAID

I've read several users have this card working in unRAID, but it's not being found on bootup.  From what I've read, it should use the sata_mv driver in the 2.6.26 kernel, so I assume the newer kernel should work fine also.

Do I need to do something specific to get this to work?  I couldn't find any settings in my BIOS that seemed like they would have anything to do with this problem.

It's plugged into the PCIe x16 slot, but that shouldn't be a problem, from what I've read.

I've read several users have this card working in unRAID, but it's not being found on bootup.  From what I've read, it should use the sata_mv driver in the 2.6.26 kernel, so I assume the newer kernel should work fine also.

Do I need to do something specific to get this to work?  I couldn't find any settings in my BIOS that seemed like they would have anything to do with this problem.

It's plugged into the PCIe x16 slot, but that shouldn't be a problem, from what I've read.

Some PCIe x16 slots are made for video cards only. What is your motherboard?

You could try installing it on a different motherboard just to be sure the card is not dead.

If you have an x4 slot you can try that also.

Yep.  I have the video card in the red one (closest to the processor), but the fan is a bit too close to the yellow PCIe x1 slot right next to it, and the NIC is in the other PCIe x1 slot, which is why I've put it into one of the blue PCIe x16 slots.

I'll open it all back up again tomorrow and move the video card to one of the blue ones, and put this card in the yellow PCIe x1 slot and see if that works.  I wonder if the blue ones are video card only so they can run crossfire??  The manual doesn't say anything one way or the other :(

I'm assuming that since no one has said I need to do something with unRAID or the BIOS, that there's nothing that needs done to make unRAID aware of the new card, and that it should just be recognized/work upon boot up.

Yep.  I have the video card in the red one (closest to the processor), but the fan is a bit too close to the yellow PCIe x1 slot right next to it, and the NIC is in the other PCIe x1 slot, which is why I've put it into one of the blue PCIe x16 slots.

I'll open it all back up again tomorrow and move the video card to one of the blue ones, and put this card in the yellow PCIe x1 slot and see if that works.  I wonder if the blue ones are video card only so they can run crossfire??  The manual doesn't say anything one way or the other :(

I'm assuming that since no one has said I need to do something with unRAID or the BIOS, that there's nothing that needs done to make unRAID aware of the new card, and that it should just be recognized/work upon boot up.

I think it's an x4 card, so it may not fit in the x1 slot.

Also , there is nothing to be done within unRAID. If it is detected, unRAID will load the driver automatically.

I think it's an x4 card, so it may not fit in the x1 slot.

You're absolutely correct, and I feel rather stupid now  :-[  (in my defense, I never looked that close, since I couldn't use the x1 slot anyway, and the x4 card is noticeably smaller than the full x16 slot; so much for ASS-umption)

Anyway, I ended up swapping locations, and put the video card in the last blue slot where this card was, and this card in the red slot.  I noticed that the metal connector being screwed down might have moved the card slightly, so I took it back out, bent it slightly and verified that when I screwed it down that it didn't move the card in the slot, pushed it in extra tight, and crossed my fingers.

I now see all my disks and all is well  ;D

In the end, user error, bad connection more than likely.

Thanks for the help!!

Archived