Question about Power Supply

sakh1979

More important than the wattage is the amps on the +12V rail(s), as that is what will be powering your hard drives.  Please post your power supply's model number so that we can check the amps for you.  You may also be able to read the amps off the sticker on the side of the power supply.  It should say something like 12V(1) - 14A, 12V(2) - 15A.

Thanks Daniel -

So, my 400W power supply will 10 5400rpm hard drives easy?

Sagun

Yeah that's the general idea. You can always add something that draws more power than planned. There is something to be said about efficiency as well. Adding too many 7200s and the total possible drops faster than you think. I kinda wished I bought a 850. Gettin tired of having to replace stuff. These arrays grow quickly.

I kinda wished I bought a 850. Gettin tired of having to replace stuff. These arrays grow quickly.

and... the drives are getting bigger....

AND some manufacturers are standardizing on 7200 RPM drives to eliminate inventory duplication.    Current demands will keep increasing as your array grows.  The power supply is one place NOT to skimp on quality.

I kinda wished I bought a 850. Gettin tired of having to replace stuff. These arrays grow quickly.

and... the drives are getting bigger....

AND some manufacturers are standardizing on 7200 RPM drives to eliminate inventory duplication.    Current demands will keep increasing as your array grows.  The power supply is one place NOT to skimp on quality.

Very true indeed. An electronic appliance is as good as its power supply. Crappy power supply means crappy server.

What I'm reading in specs is that 7200 3TB drives pull 2.0A max,peak and 5400's are between 1.75 & 2.0A Max,Peak.

30A on the 12V rail will safely power 10 drives up to 7200RPM.

What's required is leaving headroom for the motherboard, ram, fans, etc, etc.

What kind of CPU and Video card can have a big effect on this though.