PC and desk in different rooms

Kaltar

Hi, 

I’m toying with the idea of placing my PC in a different room from where I sit. Mostly because of the heat generated by the PC—it gets unbearably hot. Just this past Sunday, it was 30 degrees Celsius with the window open and a fan running at full power.

So what I’m considering is whether there’s some kind of KVM over fiber or Ethernet that can handle 2* 2k monitors at 144Hz, plus mouse, keyboard, camera, etc.

My initial thought was to have the PC in Room A, connected to some kind of box X, a 10-meter cable to Room B where another box Y is located. I would then connect the monitors and other equipment here and be able to play with minimal latency or close to it.

I’ve seen that Linus Sebastian from Linus Tech Tips has something like this, where he has their PCs in a rack in the basement, but he never really goes into detail about the equipment he uses to allow them to play in their rooms.

Does anyone have any good ideas about what equipment could be used?

Edited by Kaltar
  • Kaltar changed the title to PC and desk in different rooms

I use HDBaseT to run displays and peripherals from a VM on my unRaid server to a desk in a different building. I write a bit about it here;

https://mediaserver8.blogspot.com/2019/07/routing-vms-anywhere.html

I'm currently pushing a single display 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, and you'd need one transmitter / receiver per display. Not sure if they hit 144HZ, but you could check specs on AV Access devices, or similar technology. Mine runs across about 60M of Cat6A cable and is very stable.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember Linus first tried this using some thunderbolt device but IIRC it was horribly unreliable and he got rid of it. (this was in the old house before he moved to the big new house) The new solution in the new house seems to work better but I dont remember what the hardware is. I would post on the LTT forums, someone over there could probably tell you what the hardware is.

On 9/12/2024 at 5:55 AM, Michael_P said:

He does in the videos before he bought his house - it's a thunderbolt dock and fiberoptic cables

The thunderbolt was the old house, and Im pretty sure he ended up hating that solution and complained about it being unreliable. I dont remember which video it was but im 99% certain im remember him hating that setup.