Extremely Slow Drive Rebuild

bblicke1

Greetings! 

I know there are a handful of threads on this topic, but after reading through many of them I haven't been able to find a solution to my problem.

I had a 3TB drive go down the other day and it seemed as if perhaps there were some loose cables or something because I rebooted and it came right back. Well, it went down again and when I got it to reappear it was being treated as if it was a new drive requiring a rebuild. I attempted to rebuild it and the speeds were like 2-3 mb/sec so I started looking into it. I found some tuning settings and attempted to increase those, but to no avail. Shortly after more looking around and testing, the very next drive in the array went down. Luckily I have 2 parity drives so my data is still getting emulated.

I went to Micro Center today and grabbed 2 brand new 8TB drives. Replaced both of the disabled disks in the array and started in maintenance mode. I went to sync and the rebuild is now running between 400-700 kb/sec. Then the second disk got disabled again. I cancelled the rebuild and stopped the array, removed the 2nd disabled disk and tried to spin everything up in maintenance mode and just do the single disk. Same result... slow as can be.

I already replaced the cable last night, not sure what else to do now.

Diags attached. Thanks in advance for any/all help!

tower-diagnostics-20240918-1737.zip

Hm, I swapped the cable out and tested again, perhaps it's an issue with the drive bay... I'll have to take a look.

Did you see anything pertaining to disk 7 and why that failed/disabled? I looked through and searched ATA6 and saw all the resetting of the interface, but didn't seem to find anything I could easily understand regarding disk 7. I see a bunch of write errors to different sectors, but we're talking about a brand new HDD?

One other question, I assume that ATA 6 = Disk 6, then what are ATA 43 or ATA 44?

Thanks!

-Edit - Nevermind, looks like ATA43 = Disk 7, so they don't actually correlate I guess.

Edited by bblicke1

I just tried to run a rebuild of disk 7 (new 8TB replacing 3TB) after removing disk 6 from the array.

I've attached the diag for that as well, it failed and disables which is slightly different behavior from disk 6. It also throws errors and "bad sector" errors which disk 6 doesn't seem to do.

It can't be a coincidence that 2 neighboring disks randomly begin having issues at the same time after months and months of issue free operation, then their replacements have issues too.

tower-diagnostics-20240919-0950.zip

Sep 18 17:26:47 Tower kernel: ata6: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
Sep 18 17:26:52 Tower kernel: ata6: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
### [PREVIOUS LINE REPEATED 1 TIMES] ###
Sep 18 17:27:09 Tower kernel: ata6: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
Sep 18 17:27:10 Tower kernel: ata6.00: configured for UDMA/133
Sep 18 17:27:10 Tower kernel: ata6: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
Sep 18 17:27:11 Tower kernel: ata43: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
Sep 18 17:27:16 Tower kernel: ata6: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
Sep 18 17:27:17 Tower kernel: ata43: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
Sep 18 17:27:17 Tower kernel: ata43: limiting SATA link speed to <unknown>
Sep 18 17:27:22 Tower kernel: ata43: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 3F0)
Sep 18 17:27:22 Tower kernel: ata43.00: disable device
Sep 18 17:27:22 Tower kernel: ata43.00: detaching (SCSI 43:0:0:0)

Issues with multiple disks, and disk7 ended up dropping offline, this is usually a power/connection issue.