Will UNraid do what I want?

Right now I have windows shares set up that my son, wife and I access. My son is 4 so he just knows the frontend.

Problem is, he often moves files into other folders, deletes things(not quite as often, but its happened), and generally makes keeping good folder structure impossible on his shares.

I know with Pro I can enable User Level Security. Once I have his username and password set, and have set it up on his windows machine, will the user name/password need to be entered every time or will it be "just there" like a mapped drive. I of course will set the exceptions for me to have R/W and for him to just have Read access. Will this stop him from moving files? I've noticed depending on the type, windows will sometimes let him move a file even with read only access. Not to mention every time I set up the security that way, it ends up crapping out in a week or two, setting it back to R/W Everyone it will work fine.

So in short, will we need to enter Username and password every time(at logon) or only once when setting it up, and will it stop him from moving anything.

Thanks in advance!

You can definitely give him read-only access.  If you're using the 5.0 beta series, you will need to set the various user shares security to "Secure", and assign his account read-only access.  Windows should be smart enough (especially Windows 7) to save his log in credentials so it will not require him to sign in every time he accesses the shares.

7 definitely will.  I say should because I don't recall exactly with XP or Vista, but I'd lean toward yes.

It also worked with XP.  I've got our family photo library set up on unraid and use user shares to allow the kids to view but not modify.  Both Windows 7 and XP cache the user credentials (if you check the appropriate box in the login dialog).

Regards,

Stephen

Also, if his unraid account name and password match his windows account name and password (you can set auto log on in windows if you dont want him to manually log in). he can just use the share without any addition password/ log on information prompts.

I believe the plus version also can do that if you dont need to buy pro..

If i recall pro only adds more drives and AD integration.

Thanks alot, I just reinstalled windows on his PC today, so I'll setup auto-login and let everything match. I've been wanting to go to a dedicated server for a while, as my multi-purpose server/HTPC/Video Editing/Everyday PC was sucking down power to have all the HP it needed to keep up with everything, not to mention I have always had issues with Windows permissions. They work, then they don't, then your locked out but no one else is. Just a pain.

Thanks again!

Also, if his unraid account name and password match his windows account name and password (you can set auto log on in windows if you dont want him to manually log in). he can just use the share without any addition password/ log on information prompts.

This is the trick I use all the time, works very well.