Questions before buying unRAID

OK,i have now built my rig,and are in the process of preclearing the parity drive to begin with, however, before i go any further,i would like to know 1 thing, if one buys this program, can you only use the license once? If your usb stick fails,or u need to migrate to new server,do you have to buy new license every time?

Hmm,now i am getting a bit annoyed. Limetech sells a software product they "force" people to buy hardware to use? I think i am gonna pass, too much hassle if one thing fails. And you know stuff always breaks on the weekends where you cant get replacement parts,besides i am from Denmark,and should i buy all this stuff in America it will cost and arm and a leg in customs and taxes,not to mention having to wait for a new license usb stick/card reader/what have you everytime some breaks, no thank you

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions

The flash media is only written on a reboot. The odds of failure are very low. Using a media reader means the the reader is tied to the key. The reader and thus the key will never have to be replaced. The SD media is only written on reboot and also has a very small chance of failure. I've seen less than 5 flash failures reported on this forum; all of them resolved by LimeTech without additional cost. Most flash devices used in this manner will last indefinitely.

Well, it is the principle that i don´t "own" the piece of software i buy which gets to me. And i guarentee you,with my luck,i am probably gonna have to replace the stupid usb sticks/card readers on a regular basis.

Add to that the insane amount of time needed to just prepare the hard drives for a little piece of mind,it would take me months to prepare the 14 drives i begin with, i would rather be able to use my media now,and if i get a disk failure,cross that bridge when i come to it. Worst scenario,i have to re-rip 40 blu-rays,no biggie. Besides i run software so i can see potential drive failures in advance. Unless it is sudden,but then nothing could foresee that,regardless of parity.

Again,sorry to have wasted yalls time,but i am certain i wont be using unraid.

Wow, you seem capable of finding the worst in everything or you just want it to fail.

If you start with a quality USB stick and don't set-up something to constantly write to it, then it's not very likely to fail. You'll likely have as much chance of a HDD failing.

Where did you get months of work to use 14 drives? If you want to use the drives NOW, just assign them all to the array, initialize it and build parity. You'd have a parity protected system in less than 15 hours. If you want to run the preclear as a burn-in then run multiple instances and do it in say 2 batches of 7 drives at a time, which would take all of 60 hours give or take. If you buy a drive at a time then you start preclear the day you get it and then add it the next day, taking about 10 minutes to add and then format before the server is available again. Months before you can use your drives, seriously????

Well,i have all my stuff stored on the drives i would need,and taking into account they all need to be pre-cleared (drives range in age from 2 years and younger,hence the good idea of pre-clearing) is a daunting task,as i have to move ALOT of data back and forth also. And i did NOT get pre-clear to take under 24hrs, when i started the first drive,it took 2 days to write the damn zeros the 10 times the counter said it needed, and since i only have 1 new drive,i have to clear 1 drive at a time,which will take maybe not months,but weeks.

I am just not sure i want to spend that much time on something,when all i get is a little security,which by the way is redundant if the parity and another drive fails (unlikely maybe,but not impossible), the time i spend preparing the drives,i could re-rip my entire blu-ray collection onto a new drive if the need arises.

Also,i use yamj now,which finally works really well,and to re-learn that running from unraid is also time consuming

Basically,i just wanna lie on my sofa and watch movies all day over my gigabit network,and that is what i have now using plain old win 7. And in ALL my years fiddling with computers since my very first 386SX i have only seen 3 hard drives fail,and this is the span of 30 years,so i will take my chance with windows,which works excellent

Well, it is the principle that i don´t "own" the piece of software i buy which gets to me. And i guarentee you,with my luck,i am probably gonna have to replace the stupid usb sticks/card readers on a regular basis.

Add to that the insane amount of time needed to just prepare the hard drives for a little piece of mind,it would take me months to prepare the 14 drives i begin with, i would rather be able to use my media now,and if i get a disk failure,cross that bridge when i come to it. Worst scenario,i have to re-rip 40 blu-rays,no biggie. Besides i run software so i can see potential drive failures in advance. Unless it is sudden,but then nothing could foresee that,regardless of parity.

Again,sorry to have wasted yalls time,but i am certain i wont be using unraid.

The chance of flash drive failure is very remote. If the SDcard fails when using a reader the reader does not need to be replaced. The SDcard media only needs to be replaced. The key assigned to the reader will work with any SDcard. The way unRAID uses the boot media means it should last indefinitely. The is more chance that a boot HDD will fail. Using a card reader is just like using any boot drive; when it fails it is replaced. The reader and the key are not replaced; only the SDcard is replaced.

It should take a few days to pre-clear and set up the server.

Archived