Bought a Synology 2411, but keeping my unraid running...

opentoe

I bought a Synology 2411 12 bay NAS. I'll be using the SHR raid they have which can be setup with a 2 disk redundancy. Right now I just have a few 2 TB drives installed and I'm messing around with it, trying to screw things up on purpose. I do have to say, the software is quite polished and there are more options then I know what to do with. I did add one 3 TB drive and it worked fine. I'll still keep my unraid system up for maybe a backup or something. The speed of the Synology with one CAT5 connection is quite amazing. 85-90+ MB/sec R and W. I also can add an external module that can add another 12 drive bays. 72TB with using 3TB drives and obviously more using 4TB drives when %100 compatibility comes out. Expensive? Hell yea. Just the 2411 cost $1400 WITHOUT the drives, but I just needed a long term solution that kept up with the times quicker and more dynamic. I'm willing to spend good money and I'm sure lots of people are if it just works. Maybe I'll try that R-sync to use my unraid as a backup during the night or something. BTW, it was nice to see a Seasonic power supply in the Synology. At least I know they are using quality stuff.

Archived