Unmenu can't connect to the internet

silvine

I installed Unraid and Unmenu using the helpful configuration guide. I can access Unraid via my brower without issue. I can also access Unmenu but when I click on any of the menu links it takes me to "the DNS lookup failed" page. I understand Unmenu needs an internet connection to work.

I am currently accessing Unraid on http://192.168.1.253/ on my mac. I opened terminal and typed "telnet 192.168.1.253". I then entered my password and I typed "ping 8.8.8.8". Terminal reports it is receiving 64 bits. I take it this suggests the problem is not my internet connection??

I have set the gateway and DNS server to the same address I use to access my router. This is 192.168.1.1. I tried changing my Ip address to DHCP.

What can I do to fix this?

I am really new at UnRaid but I like what I see. Please help.

it does sound like your have conectivity and the problem is dns.

I would go back to your telnet. if you can ping 8.8.8.8 (google's dns), I would try to ping "google.com" and see what happens. you should get a reply back.

I assume your set your DNS servers in your router. try possibly setting your DNS to 8.8.8.8?

thats how i have my setup. my router as primary (that has comcasts dns servers) and google as my secondary.

if you know the dns of the package you're trying to download, try to ping it from your mac. maybe the pack is offline. i have seen that in the past.

• 2 months later...

I am having problems with unmenu as well. ive had it installed just fine and was working for a long time...maybe a year or close to without any issues now today out of no where i cant get the unmenu gui to connect. my unraid gui connects just fine i pulled up telnet and when i ran

net lookup google.com
it said 74.125.224.169 then i ran
ping -c google.com
and it said ping: bad number of packets to transmit..

any ideas? thanks

You need to add the IP address of your server to your hosts file on your Mac. For whatever reason, OS X and iOS don't pick up the local DNS name. So when you're clicking on one of the items in unmenu it's trying to go to http://tower but the OS doesn't know where that is. It has something to do with the way the server broadcasts it's name. Not sure what it is though because it works fine in Finder.

Open a terminal window and type "sudo nano /private/etc/hosts"

Add your entry, then hit "control + o" then "control + x" And that's control, not command.

cant connect again to unmenu webgui..since im not on mac should i start a new thread?

ping -c 5 google.com

came back as 0% packet loss

That is a different issue.  Since you cannot ping the outside world, it might just be that the lan connection is intermittent.

Post a syslog.

i thought 0% packet loss was a good thing lol syslog attatched

Note to self...    do not respond to posts before morning coffee has had time to get brain engaged.

You are correct. 

He left off most of the output:

ping -c 5 google.com

PING google.com (74.125.137.113) 56(84) bytes of data.

64 bytes from google.com (74.125.137.113): icmp_req=1 ttl=48 time=26.6 ms

64 bytes from google.com (74.125.137.113): icmp_req=2 ttl=48 time=30.4 ms

64 bytes from google.com (74.125.137.113): icmp_req=3 ttl=48 time=27.6 ms

64 bytes from google.com (74.125.137.113): icmp_req=4 ttl=48 time=26.3 ms

64 bytes from google.com (74.125.137.113): icmp_req=5 ttl=48 time=26.4 ms

--- google.com ping statistics ---

5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4060ms

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 26.315/27.482/30.408/1.535 ms

0% packet loss is a good thing.

Your solution is described here... 

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5568.msg51839#msg51839

Since you are using a MAC, and you do not have a local name server, and, apparently have not entered an entry in your hosts file for your server, you can add two lines in the unenu.conf file to have it send the links as IP addresses instead of machine names.

Joe L.

He left off most of the output:

this is true i left it out because i thought 0% packet loss was what i wanted lol

Since you are using a MAC, and you do not have a local name server, and, apparently have not entered an entry in your hosts file for your server, you can add two lines in the unenu.conf file to have it send the links as IP addresses instead of machine names.

i am not using a MAC thats why i asked if i should start a new thread lol...ill check out that post thanks again! Please do not touch a computer without coffee!!! ha ha jp... :P

Archived