r8169 Still a problem..

Well I agree with all the comments.  I don't think Tom is responsible for the broken driver though.  He is waiting on Linux development to fix the issue.  And getting this issue addressed by the proper developers is like steering the Titanic away from the ice burg ... its real slow.

In light of the problem, wouldn't replacing the NIC with one that is stable and works solve your problem?  Its not an elegant solution, but gets you working in a more stable environment.

It it were me, and I had the slot available, that's where I would go.  With out even thinking about it. Then I would continue to monitor the situation until its resolved.  That way you don't have to loose what remaining hair you might have trying to get the kernel to compile properly.  Whats really nice about this solution, is you don't have to worry about upgrades, taking out your nicely compiled driver and just simply ruining your day.  Instead you would be out riding your motorcycle enjoying your weekend! ;D

Just my 2 cents  ;)

-- Sideband Samurai

Some thought about it beforehand and purchased motherboards with the Intel LAN chipset built in!

Not quiet fair to blame poor planning when the unraid wiki makes build recommendations with boards that have a realtech nic built in:

Indeed not.  My comment was intended to be a somewhat light-hearted comment, responding to an earlier poster's '...without thinking about it...'

However, I was bitten by Realtek LAN interfaces, years ago when building some systems for a client, in the days of 10b2/10bT, and have never trusted them ever since.

Some thought about it beforehand and purchased motherboards with the Intel LAN chipset built in!

Not quiet fair to blame poor planning when the unraid wiki makes build recommendations with boards that have a realtech nic built in:

budget build for example

http://www.lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware_Compatibility#Recommended_Builds

The wiki does need to be updated, however the recommended board includes a Realtek RTL8111C which is fully unRAID compatible. 8111D's are also fully compatible, it is only the E's which have had issues.