Please sanity check my hd swap path - NOW cannot assign a parity drive

Hi all,

I'm planning to change 3 of the drives in my unraid setup, one of which is the parity drive.

I've bought two 2tb seagate barracuda LP drives which i plan to use one for parity (replacing an existing 1tb drive) and a data drive (replacing a 500GB drive).  I then plan to use what was the 1tb parity drive to replace another 500GB drive, so 3 swaps in all.

My thought was to do the parity drive first?  Allow parity to rebuild before attempting to swap any data disks.

Then replace the two data disks individually allowing them to be rebuilt by parity.

Please can someone confirm if this is the correct and quickest approach?

*NOTE the drives being replaced are not failed, just upgrading the size.

I tried upgrading the parity drive without running a pre-clear first (as i didn't have the preclear.sh on my server yesterday) - but when I assigned the new drive in the UI and clicked "start array and rebuild parity", the server hung.

I couldn't connect via the UI, console or putty.

Would the server be doing some kind of formatting first which would cause it to be unresponsive?

version 5b14 btw.

Anyway I left for over an hour and it was still unresponsive, so I powered off and removed the new drive.  The server powered up showing parity as missing, so I am now running a pre-clear on the drive to see if that helps (before re-assigning as parity again).

I believe if you do not start a parity check it will cause unraid to format the drive...not sure if will render the system unresponsive though. I would Preclear before putting any data on a drive that would be as critical at the parity drive.

Parity drives are never formatted.

If nothing was responsive, (console or via telnet) the server crashed. 

Joe L.

OK, so the preclear finished successfully.

However when I tried assigning the drive as parity, the server has hung again.  I've attached a screenshot of what i saw just before the hang.

Has anyone got any ideas what could be causing this?  Could it be related to this drive being an advanced format drive, whereas all my others are not?  My old hardware might not like this drive?? (Although pre-clear worked ok).

Not sure how to debug this as I can't get a syslog when it keeps hanging.

Edit:  The server will not boot with this drive in place as the parity.  It gets as far as the login prompt, then hangs.  I took the drive out and the server will boot, albeit with a missing parity.

unraid_new_parity_2.jpg.4e4b97ce5851ccd2d9ef37b879ef6759.jpg

Well clearly i spoke too soon as the server as frozen again.

I guess this must be a hardware issue then... darnit.

start with a memory check.  Also make sure the CPU heatsink is attached correctly and did not get dislodged in your installation of the new disk.

I'm seeing 14 disks in your array. (possibly more are installed, but not assigned)  Is your power supply up to the task?  What EXACT make/model is it?

Well clearly i spoke too soon as the server as frozen again.

I guess this must be a hardware issue then... darnit.

start with a memory check.  Also make sure the CPU heatsink is attached correctly and did not get dislodged in your installation of the new disk.

I'm seeing 14 disks in your array. (possibly more are installed, but not assigned)  Is your power supply up to the task?  What EXACT make/model is it?

Hi Joe,

i'll have to go and check what type the power supply is, but the whole setup has been working OK for over a year now.  Only starting having problems when I was trying to change this disk - which incidentally was an icydock caddy swap so I didnt even need to open the case.

I did a parity check around a month ago which completed OK too.

Will go and run a memory check now as well.

The powersupply is a clio 550w from what I can read.  Like i say has been OK until these issues with parity recently.

This one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817189006

that looks like the one.  I can only read clio x14 550w on the side without taking the server apart.  It was over 3 yrs ago i built this server now  :)

If that is the case, you have a multi-rail power supply.  They typically only have a single 12 volt rail for ALL the disks.  You have, at best, 18 Amps for all the disks, fans, and possibly the main connector of the motherboard.

Even if ALL your disks are low-power (green) disks, that is 28 Amps.  (2 Amps * 14).  Add another 3 to 5 Amps for the motherboard and fans, and you need 30 to 35 Amps.

Do you see anything that might cause weird issues with disks being recognized?  Hopefully, I'm wrong about your power supply... but it is easy to see why it might not be working with that many disks and a multi-rail supply.

Joe L.

The powersupply is a clio 550w from what I can read.  Like i say has been OK until these issues with parity recently.

This one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817189006

that looks like the one.  I can only read clio x14 550w on the side without taking the server apart.  It was over 3 yrs ago i built this server now  :)

If that is the case, you have a multi-rail power supply.  They typically only have a single 12 volt rail for ALL the disks.  You have, at best, 18 Amps for all the disks, fans, and possibly the main connector of the motherboard.

Even if ALL your disks are low-power (green) disks, that is 28 Amps.  (2 Amps * 14).  Add another 3 to 5 Amps for the motherboard and fans, and you need 30 to 35 Amps.

Do you see anything that might cause weird issues with disks being recognized?  Hopefully, I'm wrong about your power supply... but it is easy to see why it might not be working with that many disks and a multi-rail supply.

Joe L.

Hi Joe, thanks for taking the time to reply.

No I haven't seen anything weird with disks being recognised, the server has worked fine until i decided to try upgrading the parity drive :(

Having just read the power supply thread though I can see you are right about my power supply.  Am amazed it has worked so far.  I can only assume that because the server is mostly idle that once booted up the draw is low enough not to cause problems.

I'm also using 6 hotswap drive bays which also have small fans in them, so that just adds to the power need!

Its odd the issue has just started now, but I'm beginning to think its time to build a new server.  My mix of IDE/Sata and PCI controller cards is getting old now and I suppose it was a matter of time before something failed.