Create User - lower case only

The user tab makes no indication that user names must be lower case only. If a person attempts to create a user using mixed case (for example: "John"), it seems like nothing happened when they submit it. Examining the syslog reveals:

Jun 25 15:15:38 NAS emhttp: shcmd (89): useradd -g users -d / -s /bin/false -c '' John |$stuff$ logger (Other emhttp)
Jun 25 15:15:38 NAS logger: useradd: invalid user name 'John'

Creating a user in all lower case (ie: "john") was successful.

Recommend adding verbiage to the User Tab to state that only lower-case user names are valid - or automatically converting the entered value to lower case ("John" to "john")

(RC5)

I would automatically convert it, just my 2 cents.

Concur. Burned me.  Either convert, or don't accept a userID that won't work.  {give error message as to why}

concur with a caveat.  page needs to specify that userid will be converted to all lowercase

Far better to simply issue an error message stating the acceptable character set. 

Let the user change the capitalization and remove any un-suitable characters. 

That way, they end up informed why their choice was not accepted, AND get to choose their alternative. (it might NOT be the lower case equivalent)

Shouldn't this just be corrected to allow Upper_case letters? An error  message should also be displayed when the system can not complete a task(including the reason why).

Linux/Unix logins are always just lower case.

The basic reason is actually historical.    UNIX has always been case sensitive, but in the very early years only serial terminals were supported and those were originally teletype machines. (yes, mechanical teletypes at 110 baud)

The older teletypes did not have upper or lower case, they only had upper case characters.

It you logged in with a user-name using upper case letters it assumed you were on a teletype and downconverted everything in the serial driver to lower case for for the log in process.  (passwords have ALWAYS been case sensitive, so the upper case passwords being entered were transformed)

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/login-with-caps-lock-upper-case-root-868431/#post4290299

The use of only lower case for user IDs and user-group names was entrenched in so many programs, it is just part of the standard for all linux/unix.   

Yes, for quite a few years, I did use those upper-case-only mechanicial teletype machines as I/O devices on a UNIX based computer that ran part of the telephone switching system at AT&T. 

With all that in mind, it is not something unRAID could change.