Mover script questions

Some questions about the mover script.

I enabled it every day, to start at 19:00

What if unraid is not on? Will it auto turn on? I guess not.

What if mover script is running, and i press the hard button on the case.. or start the powerdown script?

What will mover do then? It will be cut off? making the files that were moved, worthless? or powerdown will wait till mover has done? or something else?

Some questions about the mover script.

I enabled it every day, to start at 19:00

What if mover script is running, and i press the hard button on the case.. or start the powerdown script?

What will mover do then? It will be cut off? making the files that were moved, worthless? or powerdown will wait till mover has done? or something else?

- No it just wouldn't run it. Why would unRAID not be on? It's a file server designed to be on 24/7. With automatic spin downs, most unRAID systems will use under 100W.

- What would happen if you were transferring files in windows and you turned the computer off? You would get half transferred data, and likely the file that was in the middle of transferring would be corrupt. I'm also not sure why you would press the button on the case instead of shutting it down via the webGUI. In RC5, he made this more reliable, but it's still not as reliable as just shutting it down in the WebGUI. You should never be shutting down your unRAID unless you need to change hardware or something.

See above. unRAID is not a computer that you should be shutting off just because no one is using it. If I had to guess, the array would not be able to shut down until the mover script was done but I still wouldn't recommend doing it.

- No it just wouldn't run it. Why would unRAID not be on? It's a file server designed to be on 24/7. With automatic spin downs, most unRAID systems will use under 100W.

If unRaid is just use as a Media Server or for backups there is no need to let it run 24/7. On the one hand it cost's you a lot of money (at least here in Germany with the high prices for electricity) and on the other hand that is also not environmental friendly.

For such scenarios it would be good if unRaid would use anachron instead of cron, which does not assume that your machine is 24/7 on and also launches tasks when there scheduled date lies in the past.

Archived