ESXi 5u1 - Adaptec 1430SA - Doesn't Passthrough without errors in unraid

marcusone

I had a similar experience with a tuner card in passthrough.  I updated my bios on my X9SCM-F and lost my AVerMedia Duet OTA tuner card.  It works on the same class MB from Tyan and on the 1.0 bios.  You could try a different bios version on your X8SLI if you are allowed to downgrade/upgrade - pay attention to warning messages if you try to downgrade.  Wish I had I wouldn't have bricked my original Supermicro X9SCM-F.

Is the adaptec card part of your unraid guest?

Does it work in unraid baremetal?

Worked beautiful for last 2 years, past year in current motherboard with an i3, updated to xeon and ESXi and via pass-through errors all over the place only during parity check.  Back to bare metal, works fine.

Not sure if its an issue with the card, motherboard, ESXi, or likely some combination of motherboard and ESXi pass-through.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I had similar experience this summer.

My setup under ESX 4 passed through the adaptec 1430SA flawlessly to the Unraid guest

It worked great until I upgraded my host to Esxi 5U1. Since then I had problems with Unraid and was not able to make it work right under ESXi

Finally I build a new physical box for Unraid.

I'll give it a try with the new ESXi 5.1 and probably a new controller.

• 2 weeks later...

I just built an ESXi system based on what others had done except I bought the newer V2 Xeon 1230 which is Ivy Bridge.  The other systems that worked had Sandy Bridge processors.  Mine refused to allow all three M1015's (and sometimes even just two) to run in unRAID without error, but the same configuration runs fine in bare metal unRAID.  I am starting to wonder if the difference between my system and the ones that work is that mine is Ivy Bridge while theirs is Sandy Bridge.  BobPoenix thinks it might instead be the Ivy Bridge support and implementation on various BIOS's.  We'll have to wait and see.

I just built an ESXi system based on what others had done except I bought the newer V2 Xeon 1230 which is Ivy Bridge.  The other systems that worked had Sandy Bridge processors.  Mine refused to allow all three M1015's (and sometimes even just two) to run in unRAID without error, but the same configuration runs fine in bare metal unRAID.  I am starting to wonder if the difference between my system and the ones that work is that mine is Ivy Bridge while theirs is Sandy Bridge.  BobPoenix thinks it might instead be the Ivy Bridge support and implementation on various BIOS's.  We'll have to wait and see.

What board and BIOS do you have?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

I forgot to follow up on this.  I finally replaces my Ivy Bridge Xeon with a Sandy Bridge and all my problems went away. Not sure if it's your problem too, but something to look into.

Thats very interesting!  I was considering a E3-1240v2 for anew build, but I'm thinking I would be better off with an older proc.