Video/Music/Organize program???

opentoe

Are there any software products out there that can serve all my media and even make them accessible via the Internet? It doesn't have to run on unraid and I actually prefer it to run on my Windows work horse machine. I've tried a couple of them, but none of them worked very well. One of them I tried was Subsonic and I didn't like it much. I can't even remember the others I tried since they didn't make a real good impression. Any ideas out there?

I would love just to point to my media folders and then have the program automatically (the best it could) get cover art and all that good stuff. Then let it "publish" the results to a web server or even just on the computer it is running on and access it through the Internet.

Install Plex Media Server on windows machine

It scrapes the info, cover art, etc.

It also transcodes and serves to clients available on mobile platforms as well as through the web browser (web and mobile clients are paid apps)

Not many other remote streaming options out there. Subsonic's video streaming is experimental. There are some upnp based options like bubbleupnp that also transcodes, but it doesn't do metadata. Just shows you the filename and a screenshot as the thumb.

See this thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=22063.0

I got turned off since they wanted to charge $5 for the player app. Not that I'm cheap but if it was free to the public I would have actually donated more then $5 then used the program. Since they charge to connect to their "free" server I'm out of that program. I'll have to keep looking. I'm very surprised there isn't more of these programs out there. I can imagine there are thousands of people all over the world that have lots of media and want a good way to access it.

My friend told me to try http://www.airplayit.com/. I'll have to try that.

I did try Plex. It was pretty good and kind of did what I wanted but to start charging to connect to the server. There has to be other options, right? Ha.

I got turned off since they wanted to charge $5 for the player app. Not that I'm cheap but if it was free to the public I would have actually donated more then $5 then used the program. Since they charge to connect to their "free" server I'm out of that program. I'll have to keep looking. I'm very surprised there isn't more of these programs out there. I can imagine there are thousands of people all over the world that have lots of media and want a good way to access it.

My friend told me to try http://www.airplayit.com/. I'll have to try that.

I did try Plex. It was pretty good and kind of did what I wanted but to start charging to connect to the server. There has to be other options, right? Ha.

Unless something changed recently(I just checked and didn't find anything about it changing) the only thing that costs with plex is the mobile apps. Desktop/streaming versions are free.

I also have several tablets that I would want to use as well. I did reinstall it again and is the only one that scraps pretty good and has a lot of other features. I installed Netflix and other plugins that worked well too. I only used it on my LAN at home so I'll have to see how good or bad it works over the Internet.

I only used it on my LAN at home so I'll have to see how good or bad it works over the Internet.

Before I upgraded my net I had 1 Mbps upload speed and plex did a pretty good job. You can change the profiles to suit your needs and plex IIRC detects the link speed and adjusts the transcoding to give the best playback possible.

plex IIRC detects the link speed and adjusts the transcoding to give the best playback possible.

Are you sure? I don't think that's the case. I have been trying it out for the last two weeks on android and windows; and in both, I had to select a stream speed (750kbps, 1.5Mbps, etc.) manually. If I set a speed too high, I get buffering every five seconds. (Windows client also allows you to modify the cache length with 5 sec being default, but android client does not)

It would be great if it had it though.

Because when I connect to my mother-in-law's wifi, I have to set it to 750kbps or 1.5Mbps because she has a slow 2Mbps DSL connection. It doesn't look that great on a tablet. In other places with much faster connections, I usually set it to 3-4Mbps and it looks very good.

So I constantly have to go into settings and change it.

Archived