Spin up time from spun down drives?

glave

I realize that this question lies heavily on the drives your have in your config, but assuming mostly 'green' drives made in the last 2 years...

How long does it take you to access shares from windows when your drives are all asleep? I'm clicking on my 'temp' share and sometimes it's a good 45 seconds to 1 minute before windows actually goes into the directory to give me a listing. Is this a typical speed for others as well? XBMC will sometimes timeout when trying to play a TV show from a slept drive and you have to tell it to play again.

i can sometimes have very long times too.

I generally find its when i am using user shares and the data in that folder is across drives and it will spin up drive 1, then realise it needs drive 2, spin that up, etc.

I believe this is what spinup grounds are for.

There is a script i had (and have lost) from here (possibly made by Joe L) that will poll an IP Address and spin up your drives when it becomes active. Not good for always on players, but good for devices that will be turned off/goto sleep.

i can sometimes have very long times too.

I generally find its when i am using user shares and the data in that folder is across drives and it will spin up drive 1, then realise it needs drive 2, spin that up, etc.

I believe this is what spinup grounds are for.

There is a script i had (and have lost) from here (possibly made by Joe L) that will poll an IP Address and spin up your drives when it becomes active. Not good for always on players, but good for devices that will be turned off/goto sleep.

See here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5444.msg50676#msg50676

Archived