browsing NTFS disks outside of the array?

hey there,

given the different file systems from windows/linux, is it possible to navigate to the contents of a disk, that is initialized by unraid but not yet assigned to an array?

i was thinking about how to migrate data from a raid controller with a raid-5 raid on it. this controller and its raid5 are already recognized by unraid and i hoped, that there is an easy way to use midnight commander to copy its data onto the unRAID disks (trying to avoid to swap/outsource the data into the network)

regards,

loadme

This says USB, but I have also used this with SATA and eSATA NTFS drives. If you mount it inside one of your existing (SAMBA) shares you can even work with it over the network from a Windows machine. And of course it will work from the command line and midnight commander as well.

Mounting an external USB drive having an existing NTFS file system in READ/WRITE mode to transport files from/to unRaid server

you can also use snap or my drive-mount plugin (if you are on unraid v5) (see my signature) for easy mounting

to get write access you need ntfs-3g (see the link, trurl posted). read access should work out of the box.

just read the part, that it's an raid5-partition... not sure, if my plugin will recognize that (it should). better stick to the manual commands

hey guys,

thanks for the tips

i followed your links and was able to install the ntfs driver

benni, just a quick feedback. when using "installplg" on your drive_mount.plg file, it tells me that my certificate for github is invalid

2O5Dm.jpg

from the rest of the telnet output i think, it worked anyways. still, it would be good if you could write down a quick manual.

i finally found your plugin in the settings panel in simpleFeatures. really helpful but it informs me, that creating a share from it is not yet available?

also, if you find the time, maybe provide an example input for the paths ("mount directory" and "SMB share") for people like me ;)

and regarding the device detection: the ntfs raid5 is already detected by unraid after booting up

thanks so far!

benni, just a quick feedback. when using "installplg" on your drive_mount.plg file, it tells me that my certificate for github is invalid

that's normal, just ignore that message.

from the rest of the telnet output i think, it worked anyways. still, it would be good if you could write down a quick manual.

i finally found your plugin in the settings panel in simpleFeatures. really helpful but it informs me, that creating a share from it is not yet available?

also, if you find the time, maybe provide an example input for the paths ("mount directory" and "SMB share") for people like me ;)

and regarding the device detection: the ntfs raid5 is already detected by unraid after booting up

so far i haven't implemented sharing in my plugin (something relatively high on my todo list). you can mount your drive using the webgui: simply type the mount location in the "mount directory" line, for example "/mnt/raiddrive". then set enable to yes and hit apply.

to access that drive over network, add these lines to your smb-extra.conf on your flash disk in the config folder

[raiddrive]
   path = /mnt/raiddrive
   read only = no
   guest ok = yes

(if the file does not exist, create it.)

restart smb (simply go into setting->smb->apply) and the share should appear.

and yes, i will create some more manuals about using all those different plugins. as soon as i've got some time to get to it ;)