Medic1

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with my build:

Supermicro MBD-X9SCM-F-O

i3 2100

Norco 4220

Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G

corsair tx 650 v2 power supply

When i turn the power on I get 4 beeps (which are not in the manual under error codes). The case fans and cpu fan are all running. Power LED is lit normally on the motherboard.

The problem is there's no video. I have the monitor attached to a DVI to VGA adapter connected to the onboard video.

Is the 4 beeps normal? I'm also getting a beep if I unplug the keyboard, is this normal?

Thanks.

edit: I should also add I have the SASLP-MV8 in there too.

What version is your i3 2100?  Is it Ivy Bridge (V2) or Sandy Bridge (V1)?  If it is Ivy Bridge do you know what version your bios is at?  If it is at anything below 2.0 then you may need to use a V1 Sandy Bridge CPU to update the bios to 2.0 to work with your Ivy Bridge CPU.  Also is your corsair tx 650 v2 EPS compatible?  If it isn't then that could also be the problem as the X9SCM needs an EPS compatible power supply to work.  Other than that I don't know of any other possiblities.  You might ask SuperMicro and see what they think.  Your memory is the same model I had on my X9SCM-F MB so that should (at least in theory anyway) be OK since it worked for me when I was using a X9SCM.

As for the power supply this is from the website

"The latest ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 standards and it is backward compatible with ATX12V 2.2 and ATX12V 2.01 systems"

A quick search didn't reveal anything about an ivy bridge i3 2100...

i3s come in both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge models.  However on Newegg i3 Ivy's are 32?? series and Sandy Bridge are 21?? series so you might have a Sandy Bridge like you said.  Since prtsmgr said 4 beeps = unrecognized processor you may not have been sent the processor you think you were.  I would check the processor top itself and verify the numbers there.

As for the power supply this is from the website

"The latest ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 standards and it is backward compatible with ATX12V 2.2 and ATX12V 2.01 systems"

A quick search didn't reveal anything about an ivy bridge i3 2100...

i3s come in both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge models.  However on Newegg i3 Ivy's are 32?? series and Sandy Bridge are 21?? series so you might have a Sandy Bridge like you said.  Since prtsmgr said 4 beeps = unrecognized processor you may not have been sent the processor you think you were.  I would check the processor top itself and verify the numbers there.

Also you do have the 8 pin EPS connector on the power supply connected to the MB?

It's an i3 2100. Not an e3 1200

Yes I saw that.

I think the information applies to the I3 also.

I didn't want to change the wording in the link I copied from Supermicro.

X9SCM Key Features

1. Single socket H2 (LGA 1155) supports
    Intel® Xeon® E3-1200 & E3-1200 v2
    series, 2nd and 3rd Gen Core i3 
    processors***, Pentium, Celeron

Maybe read through all of this thread, might give some pointers:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=14872.0

PSU is OK, I think.

Correct the "corsair tx 650 v2" is listed on Newegg as EPS12V so it should be compatible.  If none of the suggestions here or the other thread help it could be a socket problem on the MB or a contact on the CPU that is bad and because of that you get the 4 beeps = unrecognized processor.  So if it is something like that and the OP has another MB or CPU to test with you should be able to determine which has the problem.  I never had a problem with the X9SCM that wasn't self inflicted myself.

Edit: the only reason I mentioned the socket or cpu problem is this:  I was trouble shooting a computer my brother put together and discovered the problem was the amount of Heat Sink paste he used when he installed the CPU and fan.  It was an old AthlonXP and he put the paste over the whole top of the chip not just the epoxy bubble (sorry not very good terminology).  So it was making connections where it wasn't suppose to since the AthlonXP had resistors/capacitors/diodes on the top surface not just the bubble and refused to boot.

So I'm going through the troubleshooting process with Supermicro. I sent a video to them of the motherboard powering up and they said it appears to be working normally (except of course there's no video). He asked me to make sure the jumper was set to allow video, which it was.

I checked the CPU. No bent pins. Thermal paste is the amount that came with the stock cooler. It looked fine when I checked. Confirmed i3 2100.

I'm thinking about buying a new processor anyways to test that out. I need one for an HTPC build so I figure it's not wasting money. I *think* the psu is fine. It's lighting up the LEDs on the motherboard appropriately (LE7 and LE4), and the fans keep spinning so I don't think that's the problem. The other thread seemed to indicate that there was a yellow light, and the fans would stop shortly after starting.

I'll keep you updated when i find out what the problem is.

I have the monitor attached to a DVI to VGA adapter connected to the onboard video.

Do you have another monitor, or can you test without the DVI to VGA adapter?

If not, can you check via IPMI on another computer?

I have had problems not getting all resolutions when using similar adapters.

• 2 weeks later...

Well. I'm having a good New Year's... I found the source of the problem. The VGA to DVI adapter wasn't working...

Seriously. After hours of troubleshooting and starting the RMA process it comes down to a $4 part.

I'm happy I didn't actually send the board off to RMA. Haha.