unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc9 Available

limetech

Does changing these permissions on folders cause any problems if we need to rollback to a previous unRAID version?

I rolled back to v4.7 after running permissions script on rc8a and experiencing the SAMBA issue, no access / file problems for me.

Waiting for rc9 to settle down before upgrading again.

Ost.

Haven't needed to run the utility until now, as I've only recently built my first server. To gain 3TB support I skipped 4.7 and went straight to RC8a. This is why I wasn't sure what to expect. So a big thank you for that info! 

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@madburg

If I wanted to check ReiserFS on a disk, I don't have a button in the WebGUI to do so, right? Why not?

I can see you are not a programmer.  The reason this has not been done is because your feature request requires extensive updates to Unraid which also means lots of extra time.  We don't know what Tom is doing between fixes, so let me explain what might happen.  First the WebGUI has to be updated.  Possibly a whole new page built just for checking the file system, scripts have to be written to support the web page.  This includes capturing the output of what the file system check is telling you.  Then the whole thing has to be tested.  Bugs have to be fixed, and those bug fixes have to be tested.  I can see Tom's point, there are bigger fish to fry than making a webgui for checking the disks.

Mac OS is a good example of a mix between GUI and command line.  Most functionality is provided from the GUI interface.  The rest is provided by the command line.  especially functions you don't want "normal" uneducated users to get at.  I understand it can be frustrating that no graphic interface exists for checking the disks.  Even the Linux community as a whole has never written one.

So (don't get offended) is someone to lazy to add exactly (no reason to reinvent the wheel, or any additional/further funtionality) what the powerdown script does directly into unRAID; or... some other reason? It cant be time, cause we've been waiting a longgggg time

Well I agree, but again Tom could be doing other things which makes this a low priority.

I don't think Joel's script is supported by Tom, still supported by Joel himself, he just includes it as part of the package.  The linux community is a lot like that.  Linus Turvalds team provide the kernel, the rest of the community provides the rest.  Which is called a distribution.  Together it all just works, or sometimes it doesn't ;D

--Sideband Samurai

I'll make this short, I am only interest in what Tom has to say and where he is (or not) going with unRAID. So your pretty much wasting ur time posting any reply @'me'